Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2009/07/02 21:36:26 UTC

maven build problem

Trying to build uimaj - I get this build error on the Cas Editor project:

Couldn't find a version in [3.2.1-v3235e, 3.3.0-v3345b, 3.3.0-v3346] to
match range [3.3.0,4.0.0)
  org.eclipse:swt:jar:null

from the specified remote repositories:
  ApacheIncubatorRepository
(http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository),
  eclipsePlugins (http://repo2.maven.org/eclipse)

Path to dependency:
        1)
org.apache.uima:uimaj-ep-cas-editor:bundle:2.3.0.incubating-SNAPSHOT
        2) org.eclipse:ui:jar:3.3.0-I20070614-0800

Any ideas?  It seems others have had success in building this.  Is there
another Eclipse plug-in repository that I need to be using?

-Marshall

Re: maven build problem

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Marshall Schor wrote:

> Jörn Kottmann wrote:
>> Marshall Schor wrote:
>>> Trying to build uimaj - I get this build error on the Cas Editor
>>> project:
>>>
>>> Couldn't find a version in [3.2.1-v3235e, 3.3.0-v3345b, 3.3.0-v3346] to
>>> match range [3.3.0,4.0.0)
>>>   org.eclipse:swt:jar:null
>>>
>>> from the specified remote repositories:
>>>   central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2),
>>>   ApacheIncubatorRepository
>>> (http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository),
>>>   eclipsePlugins (http://repo2.maven.org/eclipse)
>>>
>>> Path to dependency:
>>>         1)
>>> org.apache.uima:uimaj-ep-cas-editor:bundle:2.3.0.incubating-SNAPSHOT
>>>         2) org.eclipse:ui:jar:3.3.0-I20070614-0800
>>>
>>> Any ideas?  It seems others have had success in building this.  Is there
>>> another Eclipse plug-in repository that I need to be using?
>>>
>> I have seen a similar error a while back when I set up the project.
>> After some investigation I assumed that something with my local maven
>> repo could be wrong and deleted it. The error vanished after maven
>> download
>> all the dependencies again.
> Thanks, Jörn.  I deleted the org.eclipse.*  part of my local repository,
> and tried again - this time it failed (before it got to the swt.jar) here:
>
> [INFO]
> [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
> [INFO]
> [INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.
>
> Couldn't find a version in [1.0.0-v20070423, 1.0.0-v20070606] to match
> range [1.0.0,2.0.0)
>   org.eclipse.equinox:app:jar:null
>
> from the specified remote repositories:
>   central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2),
>   ApacheIncubatorRepository
> (http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository),
>   eclipsePlugins (http://repo2.maven.org/eclipse)
>
> Path to dependency:
>         1)
> org.apache.uima:uimaj-ep-cas-editor:bundle:2.3.0.incubating-SNAPSHOT
>         2) org.eclipse.core:runtime:jar:3.3.100-v20070530
>
> Any other suggestions appreciated :-)
>
> Jörn, could you say what repositories you are using to locate the
> Eclipse maven components?  Maybe I need to point to another maven repo
> for these?

Works for me out of the box, without pointing to anything special.
Have you 1) done a clean svn co trunk and 2) deleted your local
maven repo?

--Thilo

Re: maven build problem

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
>> A few days ago I said its only possible to start the Cas Editor
>> and other plugins when the runtime plugin is manually deployed to the
>> eclipse
>> instance. That seems to be not true. The only modification needed
>> is the
>> correct Bundle-ClassPath to target/classes in the MANIFEST.MF file.
>>
>> In my fresh workspace the uimaj-ep-jcasgen plugin has compile errors
>> because it cannot resolve the dependencies on emf codegen. The
>> codegen
>> jar is also not listed in the class path. Not sure how we can fix
>> that.
> Can we list that jar in the POM as a dependency, if someone has put
> that
> jar into the maven repo?

You may be surprised but it is already listed in the pom and
maven can compile the code without a compiler error.

After a maven eclipse:eclipse its simply missing inside the
eclipse project class path, which causes compile errors since
we have code in that plugin which depend on it.

Jörn

Re: maven build problem

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> I just set up my new uima-dev workspace on OS X for eclipse 3.5.
>
> After downloading all projects from uimaj into the workspace with
> subsclipse,
> I went into the uimaj folder and typed mvn eclipse:eclipse to generate
> the
> eclipse project files for all projects. That step failed with a
> dependency error
> in the Cas Editor project.
>
> After some try and error I found out that it works when I first
> build the cas editor and then go uimaj and do a mvn eclipse:eclipse
> there.
>
> In my eyes the problem lies in our plugins depending on different
> eclipse versions.
>
> A few days ago I said its only possible to start the Cas Editor
> and other plugins when the runtime plugin is manually deployed to the
> eclipse
> instance. That seems to be not true. The only modification needed is the
> correct Bundle-ClassPath to target/classes in the MANIFEST.MF file.
>
> In my fresh workspace the uimaj-ep-jcasgen plugin has compile errors
> because it cannot resolve the dependencies on emf codegen. The codegen
> jar is also not listed in the class path. Not sure how we can fix that.
Can we list that jar in the POM as a dependency, if someone has put that
jar into the maven repo?
- Marshall

> Jörn
>
> On Jul 4, 2009, at 8:19 PM, Marshall Schor wrote:
>
>> left-over thing: in the repository spec for "CentralEclipse" - I had
>> temporarily changed the <updatePolicy> to always...  now have changed it
>> back to never
>>
>> -Marshall
>>

>> Marshall Schor wrote:
>>> I found the cause of the problem (probably only I have this issue :-) )
>>>
>>> When it fails, the org.eclipse.core:runtime:jar:3.3.100-v20070530 is
>>> included as a dependency, and
>>> my .m2 repo has what appears to be a partially downloaded set of files.
>>> I have directories:
>>> org/eclipse/equinox/app  and files within that for
>>>  maven-metadata-eclipsePlugins.xml
>>>  maven-metadata-central.xml
>>> and
>>>  maven-metadata-ApacheIncubatorRepository.xml
>>>
>>> The ...-eclipsePlugins.xml file has version 1.0.0-v20070423
>>> The ...-central.xml file has versoin 1.0.0-v20070606

Re: maven build problem

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
> I was hoping to work a bit on some of our UI tools, but
> 2 weeks passed before I even had a build where I could
> run our eclipse tools from the within eclipse.  Now I'm
> in a state where I could do that, but I have no idea how
> to proceed if I actually wanted to make changes.  Normally,
> if I wanted to add a plugin dependency, I would do that
> in the manifest, using the eclipse tooling.  Takes about
> 15s, then it works.  In our setup, I have no idea what I
> need to do, add some magic lines in a pom somewhere, then
> some cryptic command line incantations, and if all goes
> well, 5 min later I have a working workspace again.  If
> this was all documented somewhere, I might even try my
> hand at it.  As it's not documented, I'll stay away from
> trying to improve our eclipse tooling.  I'm wondering
> how many other potential eclipse developers (like Tong)
> we're keeping away from contributing to our eclipse tools
> with our maven build.  Sorry for the rant.
Yeah maven and eclipse do not work well together.
I often have issue with the combination where it takes
me a while to find out whats wrong, or sometimes it  just
works after dangling around for a while.

Maven generates the MANIFEST.MF file for eclipse and that
is in my eyes the source for many problems.
If someone wants to change the manifest the pom must be changed
and sometimes the change in the pom does not result in the desired
manifest which is annoying when you know how the manifest should be.
Eclipse offers some help for maintaining the manifest, but all this stuff
cannot be used with our pom set up.

And some things are just not possible, e.g. when you checkout the Cas Editor
it does not run out of the box in eclipse because the classpath is
incorrect.
When the Cas Editor bundle is build the class path must be ./ and in eclipse
it must be target/classes. An easy solution would be to have
both paths on the classpath, but the maven felix bundle plugin fails
with an error.

To your question. The pom has a required bundle element, just add the
dependency there
and re-generate the manifest with maven. Not sure which command
re-generates the manifest,
but I always use mvn package.

Jörn

Re: maven build problem

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.

Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> Tong Fin wrote:
>> I really wonder if we're doing ourselves a favor by using
>>
>>> maven for the eclipse plugin and eclipse update site builds.
>>> In eclipse we have all the tooling that we need at our
>>> disposal.  We could maintain the plugin dependencies in the
>>> manifest files, where they belong.
>>>

>> I completely agree with this concern.
>> It looks like we are over done in this area and trying to shoot a moving
>> target.
>>
>> For example, some time ago, some users have the problem to attach the
>> source
>> code with the plugin and there is no easy solution. Different versions of
>> Eclipse have different way to build the source code and the recently
>> released Eclipse 3.5 has a new way to build the "source" plug-in.
>> This is just one of the example that we have to deal with multiple
>> versions
>> of Eclipse and try to catch up what Eclipse can do with "maven".
>>
>> I feel that we and the users have more problems than the benefits
>> that  we
>> get by having a "single" tool "maven" to build everything.
> Yes but the eclipse headless build is even worse then what we have now.

I agree.  I tried to set up a headless build for a project
that I do at work, and I basically failed (it builds the
plugins, but something isn't right with the update site it
generates).  I gave up after a while.

What I actually meant was building the update site out of
eclipse, by pressing a button.  It's not command line, but
it's extremely easy to maintain.

If you and Marshall are happy to maintain the maven build,
fine with me.  What I don't like is that the build is so
complicated that nobody other than Marshall can maintain
it without turning it into a major research project.  I
have no idea if maven is to blame or who or what, all I
know is that I wasn't able to fix anything by myself.

Re: maven build problem

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Re: maven build problem

Posted by Tong Fin <to...@gmail.com>.
I really wonder if we're doing ourselves a favor by using
> maven for the eclipse plugin and eclipse update site builds.
> In eclipse we have all the tooling that we need at our
> disposal.  We could maintain the plugin dependencies in the
> manifest files, where they belong.

I completely agree with this concern.
It looks like we are over done in this area and trying to shoot a moving
target.

For example, some time ago, some users have the problem to attach the source
code with the plugin and there is no easy solution. Different versions of
Eclipse have different way to build the source code and the recently
released Eclipse 3.5 has a new way to build the "source" plug-in.
This is just one of the example that we have to deal with multiple versions
of Eclipse and try to catch up what Eclipse can do with "maven".

I feel that we and the users have more problems than the benefits that  we
get by having a "single" tool "maven" to build everything.

-- Tong

Re: maven build problem

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> I just set up my new uima-dev workspace on OS X for eclipse 3.5.
>
> After downloading all projects from uimaj into the workspace with
> subsclipse,
> I went into the uimaj folder and typed mvn eclipse:eclipse to generate the
> eclipse project files for all projects. That step failed with a
> dependency error
> in the Cas Editor project.
>
> After some try and error I found out that it works when I first
> build the cas editor and then go uimaj and do a mvn eclipse:eclipse there.
>
> In my eyes the problem lies in our plugins depending on different
> eclipse versions.
>
> A few days ago I said its only possible to start the Cas Editor
> and other plugins when the runtime plugin is manually deployed to the
> eclipse
> instance. That seems to be not true. The only modification needed is the
> correct Bundle-ClassPath to target/classes in the MANIFEST.MF file.
>
> In my fresh workspace the uimaj-ep-jcasgen plugin has compile errors
> because it cannot resolve the dependencies on emf codegen. The codegen
> jar is also not listed in the class path. Not sure how we can fix that.

Did you run mvn install on the whole thing?  Because that is when the
manifest files are edited and the bundle dependencies declared.  The
following works for me:

- Clean checkout from trunk
- mvn install
- mvn eclipse:eclipse
- new eclipse workspace
- create M2_REPO classpath variable
- import existing projects into workspace

I really wonder if we're doing ourselves a favor by using
maven for the eclipse plugin and eclipse update site builds.
In eclipse we have all the tooling that we need at our
disposal.  We could maintain the plugin dependencies in the
manifest files, where they belong.  Marshall, Joern and I
have spent some considerable amount of time for the past
2 weeks or so trying to understand how our plugins are built
and why the build was broken.  We're talking about a small
handfull of plugins after all.  In my not so humble opinion,
this would be an order of magnitude easier if we used the
eclipse build process for the eclipse stuff and got the
maven magic out of the way.

--Thilo

Re: maven build problem

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Re: maven build problem

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Re: maven build problem

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Re: maven build problem

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
Marshall Schor wrote:
> Jörn Kottmann wrote:
>
>> Marshall Schor wrote:
>>
>>> Trying to build uimaj - I get this build error on the Cas Editor
>>> project:
>>>
>>> Couldn't find a version in [3.2.1-v3235e, 3.3.0-v3345b, 3.3.0-v3346] to
>>> match range [3.3.0,4.0.0)
>>>   org.eclipse:swt:jar:null
>>>
>>> from the specified remote repositories:
>>>   central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2),
>>>   ApacheIncubatorRepository
>>> (http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository),
>>>   eclipsePlugins (http://repo2.maven.org/eclipse)
>>>
>>> Path to dependency:
>>>         1)
>>> org.apache.uima:uimaj-ep-cas-editor:bundle:2.3.0.incubating-SNAPSHOT
>>>         2) org.eclipse:ui:jar:3.3.0-I20070614-0800
>>>
>>> Any ideas?  It seems others have had success in building this.  Is there
>>> another Eclipse plug-in repository that I need to be using?
>>>

>> I have seen a similar error a while back when I set up the project.
>> After some investigation I assumed that something with my local maven
>> repo could be wrong and deleted it. The error vanished after maven
>> download
>> all the dependencies again.
>>
> Thanks, Jörn.  I deleted the org.eclipse.*  part of my local repository,
> and tried again - this time it failed (before it got to the swt.jar) here:
>
> [INFO]
> [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
> [INFO]
> [INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.
>
> Couldn't find a version in [1.0.0-v20070423, 1.0.0-v20070606] to match
> range [1.0.0,2.0.0)
>   org.eclipse.equinox:app:jar:null
>
> from the specified remote repositories:
>   central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2),
>   ApacheIncubatorRepository
> (http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository),
>   eclipsePlugins (http://repo2.maven.org/eclipse)
>
> Path to dependency:
>         1)
> org.apache.uima:uimaj-ep-cas-editor:bundle:2.3.0.incubating-SNAPSHOT
>         2) org.eclipse.core:runtime:jar:3.3.100-v20070530
>
> Any other suggestions appreciated :-)
>
> Jörn, could you say what repositories you are using to locate the
> Eclipse maven components?  Maybe I need to point to another maven repo
> for these?

Everything I use is listed in the cas editor pom.xml, I did
not deploy something manually to my repository.

I also deleted the org.eclipse.* folder in my local repo
and then maven downloaded everything again and the
build finished successfully.

Jörn

Re: maven build problem

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.