Posted to users@maven.apache.org by amaresh mourya <am...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/28 15:54:16 UTC

PluginRepositories Vs Repositories

Hi All,

Why maven POM has a different section of repositories for plugin ? I am
talking about <pluginRepositories>. I means repositories section itself tell
maven to look for the plugins in its repositories. Is it to minimize the
search scope for maven while looking for plugins? or it adds some more value
than just minimizing search scope.

Thanks,
Amaresh

Re: PluginRepositories Vs Repositories

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> Why maven POM has a different section of repositories for plugin ? I am
> talking about <pluginRepositories>. I means repositories section itself tell
> maven to look for the plugins in its repositories. Is it to minimize the
> search scope for maven while looking for plugins? or it adds some more value
> than just minimizing search scope.

This is to support the use case in some organizations where project
dependencies must be locked down to a fairly strict list due to
governance reasons etc, but plugins are less locked down. Or vice
versa.

Wayne