Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by 1gnition <or...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/01 22:05:45 UTC

Adding/removing brokers from a static broker network

Hello,

We are using an ActiveMQ network of brokers with static discovery.
This means that every broker has a hard-coded list of addresses of the other
brokers.
I would like to know what are the best practices when adding/removing a
broker from the cluster in production environment.
My initial thought was to manually add/remove addresses from every broker,
but it seems too laborious and error-prone.

I'd like to hear some suggestions.

Thanks.

Re: Adding/removing brokers from a static broker network

Posted by Noel OConnor <no...@gmail.com>.
I haven't used this but how about having the list of nodes stored in a ldap
store

See http://activemq.apache.org/ldap-broker-discovery-mechanism.html

To be honest most production deployments I've seen have pretty static
cluster configurations.

Posted by 1gnition <or...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the response, but we decided to use multicast.

Re: Adding/removing brokers from a static broker network

Posted by artnaseef <ar...@artnaseef.com>.
Sounds like your trying to architect a solution.  If that's the case, there
are lots of ways to slice the problem, depending on the exact needs trying
to be met.  For example, if adding or removing a broker is a once-a-year
action, then manual edits of configuration files may be perfectly
acceptable.  On the other hand, if it will happen daily, then manual edits
will be cumbersome.

There are other considerations for a network-of-brokers, especially scale.

Can you describe what you are trying to accomplish in more detail?