Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au> on 2017/09/01 11:00:39 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.6.0-alpha-1 (take 2)

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 3:50 AM, Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> wrote:

> +1 [binding]
>
> - Signature is ok
> - Checksum is ok (although the file is formatted so that it prevent
> automatic
> validation via -c option)
> - RAT is ok
>
> Perhaps a note on the requirement for Gradle 3.5.1 needs to be added to the
> release notes? 'cause the build is failing with the latest version as well
> as
> with an old 2.10+ ones.

Thanks for noticing that Cos. I've added in some additional wording for the
next release.

It's the bootstrap step that is the culprit. Once bootstrapping is done,
using gradlew should then use the correct version. The wording I just added
could be made simpler and clearer if we tweak the build just a little so as
not to trip over the changes that come into play when using Gradle 4 (at
least while bootstrapping). I've created GROOVY-8308 to look into that.

Cheers, Paul.

Fwd: [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.6.0-alpha-1 (take 2)

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
Daniel, we should make a note in the release email mentioning the Gradle
3.5.1 requirement if building from the source distribution. Let me know if
you need help with the wording.

Cheers, Paul.

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
Yes, an exemption would be nice!

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
It would certainly help with some, but would indeed add more. The binary, the
wrapper depends on, couldn't be a part of the source code tree. As it will
result in getting the binary in the source release. And that would invalidate
this very release, as I am sure you all know.

Perhaps I can offer an alternative here. There are a few projects using Gradle
and the same issue has came up a few times in different communities. In Bigtop
we are using a slightly customized wrapper script [1]. It loads the version of
the Gradle binary from [2] and downloads it on the first run. That's gives us
the full control of what we are running our builds with, and doesn't violate
the Foundation release policy.

I'd be happy to make a patch for that, if the group likes the approach.

Cos

[1] https://is.gd/VESMIX
[2] https://is.gd/Mi8MMt

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.