Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2006/05/10 00:29:06 UTC

[logging] JCL 1.1 FC available for final checks

i've uploaded JCL1.1FC to
http://people.apache.org/~rdonkin/commons-logging/. it's not yet
available through the distributions and it will be a day or two before
the mirrors sync and i issue the official announcement.

so, please check that i have made no errors in cutting the candidate
(ideally by dropping the jar in as a replacement for a RC or 1.0.4) and
report back promptly if i have made any mistakes whilst cutting the
distribution.

thanks for everyone's hard work in getting this release out :)

- robert

Re: [logging] JCL 1.1 FC available for final checks

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 17:44 -0700, Wendy Smoak wrote:
> On 5/9/06, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The Log4jFactory class appears to be missing.
>
> Never mind, it's in the release notes.  Sorry, I expected 1.1 to be a
> drop-in replacement and was surprised by the error.
>
> I don't recall any deprecation warnings, though.  I've had this in
> commons-logging.properties for as long as I can remember:
>    org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jFactory
>
> Off to read the documentation for 1.0.4 to see what I missed. :)

The deprecation info is indeed in the release notes, starting with the
1.0.3 release (April 2003). Three years seems a reasonable phase-out
period.

Regards,

Simon

Re: [logging] JCL 1.1 FC available for final checks

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

--
Wendy

Re: [logging] JCL 1.1 FC available for final checks

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 5/9/06, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> so, please check that i have made no errors in cutting the candidate
> (ideally by dropping the jar in as a replacement for a RC or 1.0.4) and
> report back promptly if i have made any mistakes whilst cutting the
> distribution.

The Log4jFactory class appears to be missing.  I took an app that's
working with commons-logging 1.0.4 and Tomcat 5.5.17, and made only
this change:

             <dependency>
                 <groupId>commons-logging</groupId>
-                <version>1.0.4</version>
+                <version>1.1</version>
             </dependency>

(I installed the jar with 'mvn install:install-file' and had it
generate a pom since commons-logging has no required dependencies.
(right?))

I get the following error:

INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/5.5.17
May 9, 2006 4:08:12 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost start
INFO: XML validation disabled
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:294)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:432)
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jFactory (Caused by
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jFactory)
	at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory$2.run(LogFactory.java:579)

I looked in commons-logging-1.1.jar, commons-logging-api-1.1.jar and
commons-logging-adapters-1.1.jar, and I don't see the Log4jFactory
class.

--
Wendy

Re: [logging] JCL 1.1 FC available for final checks

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 11:10 +0200, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 20:18 +0200, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> >> robert burrell donkin wrote:

<snip>

> > minotaur is now back up but i deleted the files yesterday. they are now
> > in their final locations. once the mirrors have sync'd i'll be making
> > the announcement (so if there are any problems it's too late to address
> > with 1.1).
>
> OK, I just checked my local mirror and the one on www.apache.org and on
> both it seems that the "README.html" file used by the httpd module
> mod_autoindex is wrong. Its heading says "Commons-Logging v1.1.1".

good spot 8-)

> Can someone fix that?

fixed

AIUI the site is currently being hosted on ajax so it will take a while
to sync

> I don't know if I have the rights to do it myself.

you have karma but it's best for the release manager to make changes to
the distribution directory...

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 20:18 +0200, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>> robert burrell donkin wrote:
>>> i've uploaded JCL1.1FC to
>>> http://people.apache.org/~rdonkin/commons-logging/. it's not yet
>>> available through the distributions and it will be a day or two before
>>> the mirrors sync and i issue the official announcement.
>> Robert, I have been unable to do a download earlier because of the
>> problems with minotaur. Now that it has been brought back online again,
>> the directory mentioned above is empty. Have you removed the files or
>> does this have something to do with the downtime of minotaur?
>
> minotaur is now back up but i deleted the files yesterday. they are now
> in their final locations. once the mirrors have sync'd i'll be making
> the announcement (so if there are any problems it's too late to address
> with 1.1).

OK, I just checked my local mirror and the one on www.apache.org and on
both it seems that the "README.html" file used by the httpd module
mod_autoindex is wrong. Its heading says "Commons-Logging v1.1.1". Can
someone fix that? I don't know if I have the rights to do it myself.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: [logging] JCL 1.1 FC available for final checks

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.