Posted to dev@kudu.apache.org by Mike Percy <mp...@apache.org> on 2018/11/16 19:03:05 UTC

Community oriented action items from our virtual meetup on Nov 13

Hi Kudu developer community,
We had an interesting discussion on Slack this last Tuesday about growing
the community and I wanted to share some of the takeaways with the list.
For anyone interested in the full-fidelity details of the discussion, it is
temporarily archived (subject to the free Slack instance history limit of
10K messages) on the Kudu Slack instance in the #community-discuss channel,
available for perusal at your leisure.

Following are the high-level takeaways from our meeting:

Recent updates on previously-discussed action items:

1. KUDU-2402: Gerrit / GitHub integration sign-in bug - fixed
2. KUDU-2411: Java/Maven test KuduMiniCluster with binary artifacts (for
testing use only by external projects)
   - Grant Henke made significant progress refactoring the Java MiniCluster
to enable this from the Java side as well as related Java build work with
the migration from Maven to Gradle
   - Mike Percy posted a WIP patch for the relocatable binary artifact
build work @ https://gerrit.cloudera.org/c/11377/ and worked on a POC for
the location / unpacking portion of the integration posted @
https://github.com/mpercy/resource-jar-tools -- we will try to finish this
integration in the next cycle (details below)

Current action items based on the Slack discussion on Tuesday:

1. KUDU-2402: Java/Maven test KuduMiniCluster with binary artifacts -- Mike
Percy and Brian McDevitt volunteered to work together to design / write /
integrate the remaining pieces of this.
2. Docker container to ease demos and also help bootstrap developers --
Grant Henke and Attila Bukor volunteered to investigate this.
3. Write and solicit the writing of use-case oriented blog posts -- Attila
Bukor volunteered to write a blog post with a "call for blog posts" from
people working with Kudu today
4. Update the docs to explain how to contribute a blog post on the Kudu
blog -- Attila Bukor volunteered to do this
5. Regarding conference talks: Encourage developers and users to submit
more use case oriented talks, especially where the talk is recorded and the
slides are posted, since those types of talks age well -- no particular
person is assigned to this

Folks seemed to think this was a productive discussion and felt it would be
a good idea to follow this up with another sync up in a month. Looking at
the calendar, that would appear to be just before Christmas. In my
experience a lot of people are busy or out of the office in the 1-2 weeks
leading up to Christmas and New Year's Eve, so I'm inclined to suggest we
wait until early January 2019 to do another real-time virtual meetup on
these topics. In the meantime, let's use Slack and the dev list to
coordinate on these action items.

Please let me know if I missed anything.

Thanks,
Mike