Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Federico Tonioni <Fe...@isti.cnr.it> on 2005/07/27 17:07:06 UTC

Quick newbie question

Hi all!
I have just a simple question

How can I retrieve all documents in an index by using QueryParser?
I thought

Query query = QueryParser.parse("*", "contents",
                    new StandardAnalyzer());

might be the solution, but it's not:)

thanks in advance
fede
Federico Tonioni

Email1: Federico.Tonioni@isti.cnr.it
Email2: Federico.Tonioni@iet.unipi.it

Tel. : +39 339 3741340

Istituto di Scienza e Tecnologie dell'Informazione "Alessandro Faedo"
Networked Multimedia Information Systems (NMIS) Laboratory
Area della Ricerca CNR di Pisa
Via G. Moruzzi 1 56124 PISA - Italy

Re: Quick newbie question

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Jul 27, 2005, at 11:07 AM, Federico Tonioni wrote:

> Hi all!
> I have just a simple question
>
> How can I retrieve all documents in an index by using QueryParser?
> I thought
>
> Query query = QueryParser.parse("*", "contents",
>                     new StandardAnalyzer());
>
> might be the solution, but it's not:)

In general, you can't.  Many have used a technique of indexing a
single field with the same value for all documents and done a query
for field:value to find all documents.

     Erik