Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by Maxime Chassagneux <mc...@apache.org> on 2017/07/19 09:55:12 UTC

MongoDB driver

Hi,

The JMeter bundle still include a mongoDB java driver ( version 2.11.3 )
which is really old and doesn't work with all authentication

By example :

javax.script.ScriptException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
Unsupported authMechanism: SCRAM-SHA-1

As mongoDB is deprecated in JMeter, my question is : Should we keep this
librairie or update it to the lastest version ?

Thanks for ur feedback.

Re: MongoDB driver

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
I would vote to remove it entirely then from the codebase. A 3rd party
plugin could be created if people need it.

Do you want me to submit a patch?

--emi

Re: MongoDB driver

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.
>The driver has broken source compatibility.

ok. Then we drop it.

Vladimir

Re: MongoDB driver

Posted by UBIK LOAD PACK Support <su...@ubikloadpack.com>.
Hello,
I created a branch to remove mongodb.
It still has issues related to loading old plans having it.

I'll stop work on it for now, in case somebody wants to fix it, it's ok by
me.

Regards

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 12:48 PM Felix Schumacher <

--

Regards
Ubik Load Pack <http://ubikloadpack.com> Team

Cordialement
L'équipe Ubik Load Pack <http://ubikloadpack.com>
Suivez-nous sur Twitter <http://twitter.com/ubikloadpack>

Re: MongoDB driver

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.

Re: MongoDB driver

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hello Vladimir,

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: MongoDB driver

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.
Igor>Hello, team! Last year there was a PR in which I made an attempt to
update
Igor>There were 8 failed unit tests left

It turns out JMeter codebase never had MongoDB-specific tests.

If you want to update/re-implement MongoDB adapter, then it would probably
be easier now (thanks to Gradle).
On top of that, you might use TestContainers for integration tests.

Vladimir

Re: MongoDB driver

Posted by Igor Sasovets <is...@gmail.com>.
Hello, team! Last year there was a PR in which I made an attempt to update
mongo-java-driver. There were 8 failed unit tests left but I didn't manage
to fix them without a help from the core development team.
https://github.com/apache/jmeter/pull/390

We can use it during upgrade.

Sincerely,
Ihor

Пт, 4 жовт. 2019 20:30 користувач Vladimir Sitnikov <
sitnikov.vladimir@gmail.com> пише:

Re: MongoDB driver

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.
>It’s not about size, it’s about quality and « «uptodateness »

This would partially be solved with
https://github.com/ben-manes/gradle-versions-plugin
That is a Gradle plugin that discovers available updates on demand.
What if we upgrade to mongo-java-driver 2.11.3 to 3.11.0?

>But even with it, we should drop MongoDB

Does it really hurt?
The jar is small. The UI is small. It never fails CI.

It is not like I use Mongo every day.
I just mean that there might be chicken-and-egg problem: no Mongo sampler
-> JMeter users don't even try testing MongoDB (or storing temporary data
in MongoDB instead of files).

>let’s make a POC of it.

After 5.2?

Vladimir

Re: MongoDB driver

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <pm...@apache.org>.
On Friday, October 4, 2019, Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >I propose to drop it for this release 5.2
>
> This is interesting.
> Do we need Bolt then?

This has been contributed by members of a company tightly related to Neo4j.
MongoDB was not.
I expected MongoDB to be supported by the company

It brings people to JMeter and Graph a field that is expanding.
We try and when something is not successful we drop it, that’s ok for me.

> Who will maintain it?

We’ll see .
I expect initial contributors, I’ll also try to

> >Possible benefits for users is cleaner UI menus
>
> What if we add a "import-like" feature to the thread group?
> In other words, what if ThreadGroup (or it's ImportConfigurator) includes a
> set of checkboxes:
> "I want Mongo in this threadgroup"
> "I want JSR223 in this threadgroup"
>
> Then context menus might show only "already imported" elements, to it would
> be very small.
> "not yet imported" could be either completely hidden, or put into
> "unimported yet" sub-menu.
>
> The user could configure different imports for different thread groups.
> Menus are small, and everybody's happy.

let’s make a POC of it.
But even with it, we should drop MongoDB

> As a bonus, we could even add/remove UI elements from ThreadGroup (or
> whatever element) when the set of imports change.
> For instance, if the user imports "http testing", then we could show "clear
> caches on each iteration" feature to the ThreadGroup / LoopController
> configuration.
>
> mongo-java-driver-2.11.3.jar is 400KiB.
> It is 10 times smaller than Saxon-HE-9.9.1-5.jar which is ~5.5M
> It is 4 times smaller than commons-math3-3.6.1.jar which is 2.2M
> and so on.
>
> We could try reducing the initial download size by downloading dependencies
> from MavenCentral-like repositories, however, that is a different story.
> The removal of Mongo does not reduce the download.

It’s not about size, it’s about quality and « «uptodateness »
And also about number of elements but your proposal would help

Re: MongoDB driver

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.

Re: MongoDB driver

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <pm...@apache.org>.
Hello,

I propose to drop it for this release 5.2

If anybody wants it:
- he can use a previous jar
- or extract it and maintain it

It is now outdated, without tests so it hurts JMeter image and quality

Regards

Re: MongoDB driver

Posted by Andrey Pokhilko <ap...@ya.ru>.

Re: MongoDB driver

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: MongoDB driver

Posted by Andrey Pokhilko <ap...@ya.ru>.
Hi Philippe,

My question is not about dropping, it is about usage level we know and
_possible deprecating_ based on that. Maintaining code that is barely
used could be unnecessary burden for the project.

For example I have feeling that LDAP as protocol should be rarely used
in JMeter just because protocol itself is declining (my assumption is
based on things like
https://trends.google.ru/trends/explore?date=all&q=ldap,oauth,openid or
https://www.quora.com/Why-isnt-LDAP-dead-yet)

From your comments I understood that you see interest on SO for all