Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Samuel Vogel <sa...@gmx.de> on 2007/08/10 13:31:18 UTC

[users@httpd] huge config file & e404 page on different server

I have to questions regarding Apache:

1. With my setup I will have config files that are as big as 10mb, since
I have complicated vhost config and 5000 vhosts. Will this slow Apache
down significantly or have any other negative impact?
The Problem is that the vhost config is to complicated for
mod_vhost_alias...

2. I have 4 Servers. 3 of them to hold user content and one as a master
server, which serves the startpage and login page etc. I would like to
place my Error 404 document on the Master Server. But when I set the
Error 404 to an http:// location pointing directly to my Error 404 page
on master server. But this makes the page have status 200 and not 404
anymore.
How can I solve this problem?

Regards,
Samy

Re: [users@httpd] huge config file & e404 page on different server

Posted by Samuel Vogel <sa...@gmx.de>.
> Well, my guess is that the performance hit from using mod_cband (which
> needs to lock/read/write a text database on every request) is
> significantly bigger than the performance hit from simply adding a
> vhost section.

Is mod_cband really that big of a performance hit?

> ErrorDocument 404 /errors/404.html
> ProxyPass /errors/404.html http://othersite.example.com/errors/404.html

Thanks!

Re: [users@httpd] huge config file & e404 page on different server

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 8/10/07, Samuel Vogel <sa...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hey,
> > It will make startup and restarts slower and will increase the memory
> > usage somewhat. There will also be some effect on run-time
> > performance, but it probably won't be too big.
> >
> > What exactly is it about the vhost config that is too complicated for
> > dynamic vhosts? Some things can be worked around using mod_rewrite
> > instead of mod_vhost_alias.
> >
> I use mod_cband and also have to set some php options...

Well, my guess is that the performance hit from using mod_cband (which
needs to lock/read/write a text database on every request) is
significantly bigger than the performance hit from simply adding a
vhost section.

> > That's because if the error page isn't on the same server that
> > actually has the error, the server must send a redirect to the client.
> > Therefore if you want to deliver the proper response code, the error
> > page must be in the namespace of the server with the error. If that is
> > a problem, you can use ProxyPass to bring a document from the Master
> > Server into the namespace of the other servers.

> What do you mean by namespace? The Error document is not on the same
> server but under the same domain.

If the server is going to deliver the error text without a redirect,
the error text must be available on the same server.

> How would I use ProxyPass specifically to do this?

ErrorDocument 404 /errors/404.html
ProxyPass /errors/404.html http://othersite.example.com/errors/404.html

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] huge config file & e404 page on different server