Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Peter Palaga <pp...@redhat.com> on 2020/04/27 14:00:29 UTC

Roadmap for droping Java 8 support in Camel Quarkus

Hi,

Here are some relevant facts:

1. Camel Quarkus works well on Java 11 (thanks Luca and James!).
    The only known issue on Java 11 is
    https://github.com/apache/camel-quarkus/issues/1154 which we can
    hopefully sort out soon.

2. Quarkus announced today that as of Quarkus 1.4, Java 8 is deprecated
    and will be removed in Quarkus 1.6 in about two months
    https://quarkus.io/blog/quarkus-1-4-final-released/#java-8-deprecated

3. Camel Quarkus can hardly support Java 8 without Quarkus itself
    supporting it. So, based on point 2. we have to deprecate Java 8 now
    and drop it at the latest when Quarkus drops it.

There is not much we can do about 2. or 3. - those are the outer
boundaries of our current situation.

Supporting both Java 8 and 11 binds some resources in our rather small
team. We would like to simplify our testing matrix and remove some Java
version specific Maven profiles. We prefer doing it sooner rather than
later so that we can concentrate on other useful stuff (porting new
extensions, etc.) So we'd like to ditch Java 8 within weeks, ideally not
more than two Camel Quarkus releases from now. Are there any concerns
about that?

Thanks,

-- Peter

Re: Roadmap for droping Java 8 support in Camel Quarkus

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1, it makes sense.

Regards
JB

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com>.
I don't think we have different choices, so +1.

Posted by Alex Dettinger <al...@gmail.com>.
+1, it makes sense indeed.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
+1

Yeah lets follow Quarkus.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: Roadmap for droping Java 8 support in Camel Quarkus

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.
Le lun. 27 avr. 2020 à 16:00, Peter Palaga <pp...@redhat.com> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Here are some relevant facts:
>
> 1. Camel Quarkus works well on Java 11 (thanks Luca and James!).
>     The only known issue on Java 11 is
>     https://github.com/apache/camel-quarkus/issues/1154 which we can
>     hopefully sort out soon.
>
> 2. Quarkus announced today that as of Quarkus 1.4, Java 8 is deprecated
>     and will be removed in Quarkus 1.6 in about two months
>     https://quarkus.io/blog/quarkus-1-4-final-released/#java-8-deprecated

+1 for this very reason.  We should align with Quarkus / Camel requirements.

--
Guillaume Nodet