Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Corey Scott <co...@gmail.com> on 2004/10/26 10:27:10 UTC

[email] Anyone interested?

Is anyone interested in a set of wrapper classes around the rest of
the Mail API, naming for the receiving of email?

As email is intended to be small maybe this would consistute a new project?

Just interested to hear anyones thoughts (positive or negative welcome :-D)

-Corey

RE: [email] Anyone interested?

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.
Corey,

are you thinking of introducing
preconfigured email-objects as well?

-Matthias

RE: [email] Anyone interested?

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
Just a few opinions on the flurry of commons-email discussion...

On the subject of validating email addresses:  I would recommend
against any required validation inside the classes which represent
email messages to be sent.  There's enough possibility that your
validation rules won't work, and I believe it should be the user's
responsibility to determine strictness.

 From there, I would agree that it might be nice for email to provide
some address validation interface of its own, but this should be
external from the Email class and its family.  I don't think this is
critical, but I wouldn't think it was wrong.

Regarding configuration, I would want to see more specifics before
offering an opinion, but I think that in general, all that needs to
happen is that Email classes should follow JavaBean specifications as
much as possible.  If this is done, then a number of different
configuration tools will all be able to populate instances.  As with
providing any validation facility, I don't think this is critical at
all, but I don't think it's wrong.

And as for classes to simplify receiving email, I don't think that
needs to be in a separate package.  We're not talking about writing
J2ME libraries that have to economize wherever possible on JAR size.
I just think that the most successful projects are the ones with the
tightest focus.  But receiving email belongs in commons-email more
than it belongs in a new library.  I haven't had any use for such
things, but that's no reason to say it doesn't belong.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com

RE: [email] Anyone interested?

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
Well..   As we add functionalty, it will drag along the dependencies.  Which
is okay if they aren't mandated.  For example, in [configuration] you need
very little for the base function.  But, as you add in Configuration objects
backed by JNDI, Databases, Servlet web.xml, etc, you need more and more.
This is address partly by just documentation:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/configuration/dependencies.html

So, I am okay I guess with adding configuration/digester/etc.  As long as
the core API doesn't require it.  I guess it comes down to the fact that
things like configuration are orthongonal (?) to what email is.  Lets add
the functionality, but lets not mandate it.

Eric

Re: [email] Anyone interested?

RE: [email] Anyone interested?

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.
I guess Corey means only helper classes
for [email]

- A simple wrapper for validation
- configured email-settings, that is
  in XML.
  for now, a developer needs to set
  all the stuff (eg. smtp-server, user,...)

  with a xml based *config* you could
  have more easy development. only setting
  sender,recipient, subject and text.

isn't it?

I guess he didn't wanted to created a mail server :)

Regards,
Matthias

RE: [email] Anyone interested?

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.