Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Luis Ortíz Silva <ij...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/06 00:26:59 UTC

Startup time delay in Ubuntu server

Hi:

I'am getting a big startup issue with mi Geronimo 2.1.3 in Ubuntu Server
8.04 kernel 2.6.24-22-server . It takes 4 minutes to start. I start with thi
verbose options. But after this message:

"17:11:53,456 INFO  [SystemProperties] Setting
Property=org.apache.catalina.STRICT_SERVLET_COMPLIANCE to Value=true

Geronimos stops the startup process and delays about 4 minutes in continue.

I analized the iptables rules, disable the IPv6 capabilities (beacuse
Geronimo always binds to an INET6 port), apparmor is desabled, but the
problem persist in the time. I reproduced the same error in my laptop, and
always did the same.

If anyone knows how to solve this issue i apreciate a lot, beacuse i need to
put in productive mode this server.

Re: Startup time delay in Ubuntu server

Posted by Juergen Weber <we...@gmail.com>.
Probably this is not related, but on z/OS it sometimes happens that the
/dev/urandom device hangs (read < /dev/urandom does not return) and Tomcat
within Geronimo will not start.
My workaround was to hack the org.apache.catalina.session.ManagerBase class
file and change urandom to xrandom. I think if /dev/urandom is not found,
the Windows code path taken.

Juergen

Re: Startup time delay in Ubuntu server

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 13, 2009, at 6:47 AM, eros wrote:

> I wrote a small script to manually start geronimo that (I think)
> doesn't
> compromise security too much:
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> mv /dev/random /dev/random.bak
> ln -s /dev/urandom /dev/random
> /etc/init.d/geronimo start
>
> echo "Waiting for tomcat to start"
> sleep 10
>
> rm /dev/random
> mv /dev/random.bak /dev/random
>
> You can change sleep 10 to whatever number of seconds suits your
> configuration (for me it's enough to get past
> org.apache.geronimo.configs/tomcat6/2.1.3/car)
>
> And thanks again to kevan for the help.

No problem. Thanks for the script!

--kevan

Re: Startup time delay in Ubuntu server

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 13, 2009, at 5:49 AM, eros wrote:

>> I think you have a problem with system entropy that's causing a
>> problem generating pseudo-random numbers.
>>
>> While the server startup was stalled, I sent a kill -3 signal to the
>> server process (think I mentioned doing this earlier in this thread)
>> and got the following thread stack:
>
> Yep that's it!

Cool.

> I tried the kill -3 thingy (didn't know about it, thanks!) and got
> the a
> stack trace just like yours. Having the server do some expensive
> calculations while tomcat starts up seems to improve the situation a
> bit
> (probably because this activity generates entropy).
>
> The thing that really does the trick is:
>
> mv /dev/random /dev/random.bak
> mv /dev/urandom dev/random
>
> even if I don't particularly like the security implications of this.

Right. From what I've read it's possible that we could also change the
algorithm being used (e.g. SHA1 which apparently does not use /dev/
random) to reduce the likelihood of this happening (prolly with some
tradeoff on security). I'd also want to better understand what's going
on in the KeystoreUtil static initializer -- it's new code for me...

> The problem seems to be working on underused servers and is
> apparently more
> debian-related (see
> http://n0tablog.wordpress.com/2007/11/24/running-out-of-entropy-in-debian-etch/)
> than geronimo-related.

You'll want to drop the trailing ')' for this url to work. Thanks for
the pointer. I've see this basic problem occur on non-debian systems
also. I'm no entropy expert (though my wife might argue about
that... ;-).

--kevan

Re: Startup time delay in Ubuntu server

Posted by eros <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 12, 2009, at 1:19 PM, eros wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm having the same problem using Ubuntu 8.04 server and Geronimo
> Tomcat6
> 2.1.3, with Java version 1.6.0_07.
>
> I can reproduce the problem quite easily (in fact, I can't get rid of
> it...): I installed geronimo on 3 different computers:
>
> - production server running Ubuntu 8.04 64bit (kernel 2.6.24-23)
> - development server running Ubuntu 8.04 32bit (kernel 2.6.24-23)
> - virtualbox (2.1.0) machine running Ubuntu 8.04 JeOS 32 bit (kernel
> 2.6.24-23)
>
> The problem manifests itself on all these computers: whenever I try
> to start
> geronimo it gets stuck loading module 25/68, or at least that's what
> /usr/share/geronimo-tomcat6/var/log/geronimo.out says:
>
> Module 25/68 org.apache.geronimo.configs/tomcat6/2.1.3/car
>
> the last line of the other log file
> (/usr/share/geronimo-tomcat6/var/log/geronimo.log) while waiting for
> Module
> 25/68 to load is:
>
> [SystemProperties] Setting
> Property=org.apache.catalina.STRICT_SERVLET_COMPLIANCE to Value=true
>
> Any suggestiong as to what I should try to fix this would be very much
> appreciated, and if yoy need more info just let me know.

I think you have a problem with system entropy that's causing a
problem generating pseudo-random numbers.

I dusted off an Ubuntu 8.0.4 server which I haven't been using lately
and was able to recreate your problem (or at least something that very
closely approximates your problem --  a 90 second delay while starting
the tomcat6 module).

While the server startup was stalled, I sent a kill -3 signal to the
server process (think I mentioned doing this earlier in this thread)
and got the following thread stack:

"main" prio=1 tid=0x0000000040117140 nid=0x14b0 runnable
[0x00007fff12f12000..0x00007fff12f150e0]
         at java.io.FileInputStream.readBytes(Native Method)
         at java.io.FileInputStream.read(FileInputStream.java:194)
         at sun.security.provider.NativePRNG
$RandomIO.readFully(NativePRNG.java:185)
         at sun.security.provider.NativePRNG
$RandomIO.implGenerateSeed(NativePRNG.java:202)
         - locked <0x00007f51c4f48810> (a java.lang.Object)
         at sun.security.provider.NativePRNG$RandomIO.access
$300(NativePRNG.java:108)
         at
sun.security.provider.NativePRNG.engineGenerateSeed(NativePRNG.java:102)
         at java.security.SecureRandom.generateSeed(SecureRandom.java:
475)
         at
com
.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.PKCS12KeyStore.getSalt(PKCS12KeyStore.java:
475)
         at
com
.sun
.net.ssl.internal.ssl.PKCS12KeyStore.calculateMac(PKCS12KeyStore.java:
832)
         at
com
.sun
.net.ssl.internal.ssl.PKCS12KeyStore.engineStore(PKCS12KeyStore.java:
786)
         - locked <0x00007f51f6385438> (a
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.PKCS12KeyStore)
         at java.security.KeyStore.store(KeyStore.java:1085)
         at
org.apache.geronimo.crypto.KeystoreUtil.<clinit>(KeystoreUtil.java:101)
         at
org
.apache
.geronimo
.tomcat
.TomcatManagerImpl.addSslConnectorAttributes(TomcatManagerImpl.java:450)
         at
org
.apache
.geronimo.tomcat.TomcatManagerImpl.<clinit>(TomcatManagerImpl.java:101)
         at
sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
         at
sun
.reflect
.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl
.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
         at
sun
.reflect
.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl
.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
         at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:
494)
         at
org
.apache
.geronimo
.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.createInstance(GBeanInstance.java:948)
         at
org
.apache
.geronimo
.gbean
.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.attemptFullStart(GBeanInstanceState.java:
268)
         at
org
.apache
.geronimo
.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.start(GBeanInstanceState.java:102)
         at
org
.apache
.geronimo
.gbean
.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.startRecursive(GBeanInstanceState.java:124)
         at
org
.apache
.geronimo
.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.startRecursive(GBeanInstance.java:555)
         at
org
.apache
.geronimo
.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.startRecursiveGBean(BasicKernel.java:379)
         at
org
.apache
.geronimo
.kernel
.config
.ConfigurationUtil.startConfigurationGBeans(ConfigurationUtil.java:456)
         at
org
.apache
.geronimo
.kernel
.config
.KernelConfigurationManager.start(KernelConfigurationManager.java:188)
         at
org
.apache
.geronimo
.kernel
.config
.SimpleConfigurationManager
.startConfiguration(SimpleConfigurationManager.java:562)
         - locked <0x00007f51c5183ee8> (a
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.EditableKernelConfigurationManager)
         at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor21.invoke(Unknown Source)
         at
sun
.reflect
.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:
25)
         at
org
.apache
.geronimo
.gbean
.runtime.ReflectionMethodInvoker.invoke(ReflectionMethodInvoker.java:34)
         at
org
.apache
.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanOperation.invoke(GBeanOperation.java:124)
         at
org
.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.invoke(GBeanInstance.java:
832)
         at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.RawInvoker.invoke(RawInvoker.java:57)
         at
org
.apache
.geronimo
.kernel.basic.RawOperationInvoker.invoke(RawOperationInvoker.java:35)
         at
org
.apache
.geronimo
.kernel
.basic.ProxyMethodInterceptor.intercept(ProxyMethodInterceptor.java:96)
         at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.EditableConfigurationManager$
$EnhancerByCGLIB$$a351628e.startConfiguration(<generated>)
         at
org
.apache
.geronimo.system.main.EmbeddedDaemon.doStartup(EmbeddedDaemon.java:162)
         at
org
.apache
.geronimo.system.main.EmbeddedDaemon.execute(EmbeddedDaemon.java:79)
         at
org
.apache
.geronimo
.kernel
.util
.MainConfigurationBootstrapper.main(MainConfigurationBootstrapper.java:
45)
         at
org.apache.geronimo.cli.AbstractCLI.executeMain(AbstractCLI.java:67)
         at
org.apache.geronimo.cli.daemon.DaemonCLI.main(DaemonCLI.java:30)

Once I entered the kill -3 (and the stacktraces printed), my server
startup resumed (because I'd just generated some new entropy). The
above is attempting to generate a pseudo-random number by reading
from /dev/random.

I suggest that you verify (using kill -3) what your server is doing
during the delay. If you see the above (or something pretty similar),
then you're hitting the same problem.  Please let us know what you find.

One fix is to generate more entropy on your system (or live with this
slow startup behavior). I've run into this issue previously on linux
test systems... IIRC, I've seen people work around this with 'ln -s /
dev/urandom /dev/random'. I'd guess that this isn't a very secure
option. It's possible that we (Geronimo) might be able to do something
about this behavior... I'd have to spend some quality time with
org.apache.geronimo.crypto.KeyStoreUtil (see the static
initializer...). If you or somebody else is able to do a bit of
digging, that'd be great... Probably worth creating a Jira to track
this...

--kevan

Re: Startup time delay in Ubuntu server

Re: Startup time delay in Ubuntu server

Posted by Peter Petersson <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hi Luis

Have you found out if it is the uddi module that takes time to start ?

Take a look in your <geronimo home>/var/log/geronimo.out file and look
for the "startup timing" lines like this one

Module 18/80
org.apache.geronimo.configs/uddi-tomcat/2.1/car
started in  3:01.119s

In my case this module normally starts in a five seconds but as you can
see here it takes about 3 minutes to start.

If you see a similar startup time when you look in your log file I think
the dns timeout problem David is hinting at could be what causing the
problem.

If it is the uddi module that takes time to start dose your Geronimo
servers (server and laptop) reside on a network with a local managed dns
server (other than resolvconf)? If this is the case as in my case maybe
David is also right about the problem being caused by some dns
configuration issue and not a general dns lookup timeout issue.

If I see this problem again and can not find any problem with the dns
configuration I will turn of the uddi module like David suggested.

As your startup problem seems more frequent I am looking forward to here
what you find out.

regards
   Peter Petersson

Posted by Luis Ortíz Silva <ij...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 6, 2009, at 2:51 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> I think its unlikely you are actually using uddi so I'd suggest
> disabling the uddi module in var/config/config.xml (comment out
> jetty-uddi or tomcat-uddi) and see if this helps.
>
> I'd wonder if there's some dns timeout occurring perhaps due to some
> kind of misconfiguration, however I'm no expert on this stuff.

I'd say that David is almost certainly correct. The delay is most
likely being caused by a network timeout and is probably DNS related.
You can help pin this down a bit by:

In one terminal window execute:

bin/geronimo.sh run

In a second terminal window:

ps auxww | grep server.jar

Get the pid of the geronimo server process and

kill -3 <pid>

Assuming you're running on a Sun VM, this will dump out the current
java thread stack traces. I'd expect to see one of the threads (e.g.
main) blocked on a network operation. We had a similar issue in CORBA,
a while back. Let us know and we can see if there's any obvious
network config work-around or geronimo code fixes.

--kevan

Re: Startup time delay in Ubuntu server

Posted by Peter Petersson <pe...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for your input David

The dns timeout problem David is hinting at could be the case.

Although uddi is related to web services I may have jumped to
conclusions regarding this startup delay problem being linked to one of
our web service applications "miss behaving" although It has appeared
that way.

The next time I see this startup delay again (if it happens again) we
will take a closer look at what the dns service "named" may have put in
the /var/log/syslog log file on our dns server.

Luis: Have you found out if it is the uddi module that takes time to
start ? If so dose your Geronimo servers (server and laptop) reside on a

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Peter Petersson <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luis Ortíz Silva <ij...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Peter.