Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Iain Soedring <IA...@uk.ibm.com> on 2014/11/24 16:53:17 UTC

FOP failing to transform XSL to PDF with image when run in tomcat/osgi, but working when run in standalone

Hi,

I have an xsl file that includes an external image:

<fo:external-graphic src="/images/BrandGraphic.PNG"/>

When running as a standalone Java application the transformer.transform
function works, and I get a valid PDF file.

When running in Tomcat/OSGI, on the same server (same JRE), I get the
following error:

FATAL ERROR:  'java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unknown function:
gatherContextInfo'
           :Unknown function: gatherContextInfo

If I remove the image from the XSL, everything works.

I checked in the fop 1.0 source, and see that this comes from

org.apache.fop.util.text.AdvancedMessageFormat

        public FunctionPart(String functionName) {
            this.function = getFunction(functionName);
            if (this.function == null) {
                throw new IllegalArgumentException("Unknown function: " +
functionName);
            }
        }

Unfortunately no stack trace is output when catching this exception, and
tracing back through the code I can see various places from where this
could have got called.

the 'gatherContextInfo' function itself is in
org.apache.fop.fo.FONode.java, and is overridden in sub-classes.

On the class-loading side, I've verified that the same jars are loaded in
both tomcat and standalone.  The following are the ones that I find are
essential for my transform to work:

avalon, batik, commons-io, commons-logging, xmlgraphics.

On tomcat there are many more libraries loaded, but the only overlap I can
see is commons-logging, where my war file already uses a different version
of this.

I have asked the same question on stackoverflow:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27066409/apachefop-tomcat-osgi-error-java-lang-illegalargumentexception-unknown-functio
, but I haven't get much response beyond what I'd already looked at so
far.

One other issue I found running FOP in Tomcat/OSGI, was the need to
override the PDF renderer, with this code:

                FOUserAgent useragent = fopFactory.newFOUserAgent();
                PDFRenderer pdfrenderer = new PDFRenderer();
                pdfrenderer.setUserAgent(useragent);
                useragent.setRendererOverride(pdfrenderer);

                fopFactory.addElementMapping(new FOElementMapping());
Fop fop = fopFactory.newFop(MimeConstants.MIME_PDF, useragent, out);

otherwise the code would fail with:

 Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Don't know how to
handle "application/pdf" as an output format. Neither an FOEventHandler,
nor a Renderer could be found for this output format.
        at
org.apache.fop.render.RendererFactory.createFOEventHandler(RendererFactory.java:360)

Does anyone have any idea what could be going wrong here?

Best Regards,

Iain
Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.

Re: FOP failing to transform XSL to PDF with image when run in tomcat/osgi, but working when run in standalone

Posted by "Terence M. Bandoian" <te...@tmbsw.com>.
Hi, Iain-

I'd definitely be interested in how this is resolved, particularly if
it's related to OSGI.

-Terence Bandoian

From:   Matt Kynaston <ma...@claritum.com>
To:     fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org