Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Torstein Jensen <to...@jensen.sc> on 2006/07/20 16:16:39 UTC

Two repositories

Hi,

I am part of a group working on a project which is being stored on a
remote server (using svn). This is the developers repository, where we
are allowed to check out the files, but not commit changes.
Recently we created our own repository on our local server, where we
stored a "checked out" copy from the developers server. This is working
ok. However, when the developers commit new data to their server, we
can't update our local server with their changes and merge them with
ours. Is there a way to fix this?

I have tried to illustrate my wanted situation with a drawing (the
attachment).

Thanks,
Torstein Jensen

RE: Two repositories

Posted by ja...@subversus.org.
You're *really* asking for trouble if you attempt something like that.
You'll inevitably end up with synchronization issues.

> I am part of a group working on a project which is being stored on a
> remote server (using svn). This is the developers repository, where we
> are allowed to check out the files, but not commit changes.
> Recently we created our own repository on our local server, where we
> stored a "checked out" copy from the developers server. This is working
> ok. However, when the developers commit new data to their server, we
> can't update our local server with their changes and merge them with
> ours. Is there a way to fix this?

You could write a post-commit hook for the developer repository
that submits every mod to the local repository.
Or you could do the same via a cron job in regular intervals.

Carsten.

Re: Two repositories

Posted by Carsten Koch <Ca...@icem.com>.

Re: Two repositories

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jul 20, 2006, at 18:16, Torstein Jensen wrote:

> I am part of a group working on a project which is being stored on
> a remote server (using svn). This is the developers repository,
> where we are allowed to check out the files, but not commit changes.
> Recently we created our own repository on our local server, where
> we stored a "checked out" copy from the developers server. This is
> working ok. However, when the developers commit new data to their
> server, we can't update our local server with their changes and
> merge them with ours. Is there a way to fix this?
>
> I have tried to illustrate my wanted situation with a drawing (the
> attachment).

You may want svk, which is built on svn and is designed for multiple
repositories that stay in sync with one another:

http://svk.elixus.org/