Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Skip Hollowell <sk...@skipdaddy.com> on 2007/04/18 15:05:00 UTC

[S2]: Which way would you present dynamically generated block of text?

My app is progressing happily (With no small thanks to you all) and I
have reached a point where I need to make a decision on something.

The app will present a customized script to be read, verbatim, to a
customer, based upon amounts paid, owed, dates, outstanding balances,
and what not.  If you were going to do this, which approach would you take?

I am thinking I have two ways:

1.  The message resources file that I use for everything else (field
labels, page headers, titles, etc).  This has the extra advantage of
being easy to use for my i18n stuff as well.   I am not sure though how
I would pass multiple variables in to a resource tag, and how I would
ensure that I get an acceptable level of grammar correctness (single
values vs multiple and what not).

2.  I use a separate data file, and have the actions access that file as
a basis for building the script to be generated and then passing that
out on the response for the page to display.  Using a DB instead of a
file is possible, but probably not warranted in this scenario.  As for
i18n,  would need to keep a separate file, and then just read from the
appropriate file based upon the locale.

Are either of these 'more' correct?  Is there a 3rd or 4th option I have?

Suggestions?  Comments?  Help?

Skip Hollowell

Re: Which way would you present dynamically generated block of text?

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Good Morning Skip-

If your webapp's strings wont change (essentially all message strings are
static) I would implement a internationalised webapp with struts
internationalization
http://www.allapplabs.com/struts/struts_internationalization.htm

If the strings are dynamic I would look using a DB that supports
localisation such as...Oracle 10G
First you'll have to install/config and use oracle.i18n.net
http://www.stanford.edu/dept/itss/docs/oracle/10g/appdev.101/b10971/oracle/i18n/net/package-summary.html

Implementing can be achieved  by following these guidelines
http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/blaf/specs/ssNls.html

Keep in mind that your datatypes change from VARCHAR to DBCS enabled
datatype NVARCHAR you'll want to read more on globalization at
http://www.oracle.com/technology/oramag/oracle/03-nov/o63tech_glob.html

Then again there are shops that are dedicated to internationalising websites
who may provide assistance

HTH,
Martin--