Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Derek Chen-Becker <de...@chen-becker.org> on 2022/10/26 16:49:44 UTC

Using bash instead of sh in generate.sh?

I don't think this quite rises to the level of a CEP, but I wanted to get
input on this. I'm working on the CircleCI build tooling and the
generate.sh script uses "/bin/sh" for its execution. There are a couple of
things that could be cleaned up and simplified if we used bash instead. I'm
all for making sure that tooling is portable, but I think that in this case
it's probably safe to assume bash is available for dev work. For example,
all of the shell scripts in the cassandra-builds repo use bash, not sh.

Thanks,

Derek

| Derek Chen-Becker                                             |
| GPG Key available at https://keybase.io/dchenbecker and       |
| https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?search=derek%40chen-becker.org |
| Fngrprnt: EB8A 6480 F0A3 C8EB C1E7  7F42 AFC5 AFEE 96E4 6ACC  |

Re: Using bash instead of sh in generate.sh?

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 1 Nov 2022 at 17:32, Abe Ratnofsky <ab...@aber.io> wrote:

> I took a look through our scripts, and Bash is used in a handful of
> development tools. /bin/sh is used by everything under bin/ and tools/bin.
> I wouldn’t want to change a user-facing dependency unless there’s a solid
> reason, but I think it’s fine for CircleCI tooling to use Bash instead of
> /bin/sh.

Agree. user-facing scripts to remain sh, everything dev-facing can be bash.

Re: Using bash instead of sh in generate.sh?

Posted by Abe Ratnofsky <ab...@aber.io>.
I took a look through our scripts, and Bash is used in a handful of development tools. /bin/sh is used by everything under bin/ and tools/bin. I wouldn’t want to change a user-facing dependency unless there’s a solid reason, but I think it’s fine for CircleCI tooling to use Bash instead of /bin/sh.

Abe