Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Nicolas De Loof <ni...@capgemini.com> on 2006/04/05 10:05:15 UTC

[logging] RC on ibiblio ?

Hello,

Can someone upload commons-logging RC on Maven2 ibiblio repository ?
It would be very cool to also upload a POM and the sources jar...

Nico.

Re: [logging] RC on ibiblio ?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 4/5/06, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 4/5/06, Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 4/5/06, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>
> > wrote:
> > > sadly policy dictates that we can't upload release candidates to ibiblio
> >
> > AFAIK is PMC decision what gets uploaded
>

> No, this is bigger than any individual PMC. Only official releases can be
> deployed outside of ASF infrastructure, meaning that RCs cannot be deployed
> to ibiblio or made available via mirrors.

+1.

>From this I infer:

* If it goes in the maven release repo, it should be available as a
zip/tar.gz too.
* The PMC has to consider it to be an official release.

I think that a beta can be an official release - that's the decision a
PMC would be having to decide upon - but you can't be doing partial
releases (to maven repo only). There are lots of betas and alphas on
the mirrors.

Hen

Re: [logging] RC on ibiblio ?

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

--
Martin Cooper

Re: [logging] RC on ibiblio ?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 4/5/06, Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 4/5/06, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > sadly policy dictates that we can't upload release candidates to ibiblio
>
> AFAIK is PMC decision what gets uploaded

Yep. You can't upload snapshots to ibiblio - RC is a vague grey area
and I think it comes down to the lifetime expected of it. HttpClient
has had RC candidates out there for many months at a time (and thus on
ibiblio), with people dependent on them in production etc. Most other
Commons components just use 'RC' to mean a test-build for the real
thing; should never appear in a user product.

So - what does this RC mean? Is there a better name (so as not to
confuse with the general RC usage)?

Hen

Re: [logging] RC on ibiblio ?

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Re: [all] change group id? [WAS Re: [logging] RC on ibiblio ?]

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 5/13/06, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 08:51 +0200, Nicolas De Loof wrote:
> > I agree about NOT making non-final jars available on ibiblio (httpclient
> > beeing an exception)
> > So could the next RC be uploaded to
> > http://cvs.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository/ ?
> >
> > Please also consider using the new groupId recommandation for apache
> > commons-X : org.apache.commons.X
>
> should we make this change for the whole of the commons?

I would be in favour of that. The sooner all ASF projects use a consistent
groupId scheme, the better.

how much hassle would this change be for downstream consumers?

Virtually none, as long as we make the change obvious, e.g. by including the
groupId and artifactId in release announcements and download pages, or
somewhere of that sort.

--
Martin Cooper

- robert

Re: [all] change group id? [WAS Re: [logging] RC on ibiblio ?]

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 5/15/06, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 12:32 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
> > On 5/14/06, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > > be a good thing to move to henk's system of key management as well.
> >
> > What is that system?
>
> many months ago, henk penning presented a system for ASF OpenPGP key
> management but i can't find a reference right now. with a bit of luck i
> might be able to catch up with henk at apachecon europe...

Some of it is here:  http://people.apache.org/~henkp/trust/

Hen

Re: [all] change group id? [WAS Re: [logging] RC on ibiblio ?]

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 5/14/06, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 15:21 -0700, Henri Yandell wrote:#
>
> <snip>
>
> > I feel that we should be using ACL's on
> > the maven repository on minotaur such that only a PMC can release
> > their code onto the maven repository - but there hasn't seemed much
> > interest in trying to do such.
>
> IMHO bit pointless ATM. need to remove shell from the distribution
> machine before changes like this are worthwhile. but definitely worth
> bringing up again in a month or two.
>
> i've been thinking about using subversion to manage distributions. in
> addition to better  ACLs, this would allow scripts to be run that could
> verify signatures.
>
> be a good thing to move to henk's system of key management as well.

What is that system?

Phil

Re: [all] change group id? [WAS Re: [logging] RC on ibiblio ?]

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 5/13/06, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 08:51 +0200, Nicolas De Loof wrote:
> >> I agree about NOT making non-final jars available on ibiblio (httpclient
> >> beeing an exception)
> >> So could the next RC be uploaded to
> >> http://cvs.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository/ ?
> >>
> >> Please also consider using the new groupId recommandation for apache
> >> commons-X : org.apache.commons.X
> >
> > should we make this change for the whole of the commons?
>
> I think we should do it, but I remember that Henri had some reservations
> when this was discussed last time. It had something to do with the local
> Apache repo and where Jakarta artifact should be in that repo. Perhaps
> he can fill us in on that situation.

+1 to making the change.

My only question is whether we use Java package naming
(org.apache.commons) or Apache structure (org.apache.jakarta or
org.apache.jakarta.commons).  I feel that we should be using ACL's on
the maven repository on minotaur such that only a PMC can release
their code onto the maven repository - but there hasn't seemed much
interest in trying to do such.

So I'm fine with org.apache.commons.

Hen

Re: [all] change group id? [WAS Re: [logging] RC on ibiblio ?]

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 08:51 +0200, Nicolas De Loof wrote:
>> I agree about NOT making non-final jars available on ibiblio (httpclient
>> beeing an exception)
>> So could the next RC be uploaded to
>> http://cvs.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository/ ?
>>
>> Please also consider using the new groupId recommandation for apache
>> commons-X : org.apache.commons.X
>
> should we make this change for the whole of the commons?

I think we should do it, but I remember that Henri had some reservations
when this was discussed last time. It had something to do with the local
Apache repo and where Jakarta artifact should be in that repo. Perhaps
he can fill us in on that situation.

If it is decided that this should be done I volunteer to help out with
the move.

> how much hassle would this change be for downstream consumers?

Not much. When a downstream consumer wants to upgrade a Jakarta Commons
dependency they will have to change groupId as well as version, instead
of just the version.

This move has already been made for several other (Apache) jars and is
the "right way" to go. Have a look at
   http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/org/apache/
to see the current status.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: [all] change group id? [WAS Re: [logging] RC on ibiblio ?]

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 11:02 +1000, Torsten Curdt wrote:
> > Opening this up again.
> >
> > groupId: org.apache.commons
>
> +1!!

ditto

- robet

Re: [all] change group id? [WAS Re: [logging] RC on ibiblio ?]

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
> Opening this up again.
>
> groupId: org.apache.commons

+1!!

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: [all] change group id? [WAS Re: [logging] RC on ibiblio ?]

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 5/17/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/13/06, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 08:51 +0200, Nicolas De Loof wrote:
> > > I agree about NOT making non-final jars available on ibiblio
> (httpclient
> > > beeing an exception)
> > > So could the next RC be uploaded to
> > > http://cvs.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository/ ?
> > >
> > > Please also consider using the new groupId recommandation for apache
> > > commons-X : org.apache.commons.X
> >
> > should we make this change for the whole of the commons?
>
> Opening this up again.
>
> groupId: org.apache.commons
> or
> groupId: org.apache.commons.X

The former.

--
Martin Cooper

??

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
It's also good for providing a standard way of doing things.

Our .zip files are terribly unstandard. We have source in /src/
/src/java /src/share and /src/main (at least), and javadoc in /api
/apidocs /api/docs and others.

I was under the understanding that regardless of maven usage, the src
and javadoc jars were more useful for users of the IDEs. That the IDE
could point at those jars when it can't point at the zips.

Hen

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
Sources and javadocs are great for maven users because when maven
generates the IDE projects it will check the repo for them, download
and link inside the IDE, enabling debugging through third party
sources or reading the javadocs while coding.

On 5/18/06, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/18/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > As one of the goals in the commons charter (12) is to have one jar (=one
> > > artifact) per subproject, I believe that org.apache.commons will work
> > > nicely.

> > > What would be the best way to do this? Should we try to cram this into
> > > the Apache Maven 1 repo or should we start to provide Maven 2 POMs for
> > > all commons components instead? The Maven 2 repo has better support for
> > > these kinds of extras.
> >
> > Maven 1 repo; until we start doing it automatically from an m2 build
> > system. Less chance of us messing up the m2 repo that way.
> >
> > I'm working on deploying a lot of the javadoc.jars for commons
> > versions; then will do sources.
>
> Out of curiousity, why exactly do we want to duplicate the
> distribution of these things?  What exactly does it buy us or our
> users?  What is so hard / onerous about just downloading the official
> distros?  I understand (and depend on) the practical value of the
> maven repo for binary jars,  but don't see the compelling reason to
> duplicate src and javadoc distros.  Until we have good automated
> signing and distribution from tags in place, I think we should avoid
> unnecessary duplication and as much as possible hold onto the
> connection
>
> tag <-> vote <-> distro <-> sig
>
> Breaking things apart and redistributing manually is asking for trouble, IMHO.
>
> Phil

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                             -- The Princess Bride

Re: [all] change group id? [WAS Re: [logging] RC on ibiblio ?]

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> On 5/18/06, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Henri Yandell wrote:
>> > On 5/13/06, robert burrell donkin
>> <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>

>> > Opening this up again.
>> >
>> > groupId: org.apache.commons
>> > or
>> > groupId: org.apache.commons.X
>> >
>> > ??
>>
>> As one of the goals in the commons charter (12) is to have one jar (=one
>> artifact) per subproject, I believe that org.apache.commons will work
>> nicely.
>>
>> > The M2 repository has a better hierarchical structure, so I'm not sure
>> > we have to worry about jamming X in place.
>> >
>> > Here's the m2 repo for my commons-alike testing project:
>> >
>> > http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/genjava/
>> >
>> > I'm thinking a group id of org.apache.commons for each component would
>> > work well.
>> >
>> > We've got both logging and collections in need of deployment. Also
>> > need to start putting the javadoc and sources in there too if
>> > possible.
>>
>> What would be the best way to do this? Should we try to cram this into
>> the Apache Maven 1 repo or should we start to provide Maven 2 POMs for
>> all commons components instead? The Maven 2 repo has better support for
>> these kinds of extras.
>
> Maven 1 repo; until we start doing it automatically from an m2 build
> system. Less chance of us messing up the m2 repo that way.

So, should we go ahead and do this or does it require a vote?

<snip/>

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: [all] change group id? [WAS Re: [logging] RC on ibiblio ?]

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicolas De Loof <ni...@capgemini.com>.
AFAIK maven1 repo is simply a rewriteRule on maven2 repo, so that new
artifacts under org.apache.commons groupId in maven2 repo will be
available in maven1 repo under "org.apache.commons/jars/<artifact>.jar"

This may suggest to use a more specific groupId for commons, like
org.apache.commons.*lang*
to keep commons separation in maven1 repo.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Carlos Sanchez wrote:
> Are you thinking about doing it in the m1 or m2 repo?

I really don't have a clue. Since I have not acted as release manager
for any component, I haven't really done my homework on what the
difference between the two is. I know about the M1 an M2 repos at
ibiblio, and that there is some  sort of conversion between them, but
don't know what it looks like at the Apache end.

Do you have any suggestions on which is better?

> see below
>
> On 6/7/06, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
>> So, in the simple example below, covering commons-lang, the procedure
>> would be:
>>
>> 1. Copy all files from /commons-lang/ to
>> /org/apache/commons/commons-lang/ in the *Apache* repo
>>
>> 2. Change the groupId of all the pom files under
>> /org/apache/commons/commons-lang/ so that they use the
>> org.apache.commons groupId
>>
>> 3. Add relocation elements to all pom files in /commons-lang/ pointing
>> them to org.apache.commons like this:
>>
>>    <relocation>
>>      <groupId>org.apache.commons</groupId>
>>    </relocation>
>>
>> If I understand the model documentation correctly, we shouldn't have to
>> use artifactId or version since they are the same. But should we add a
>> <message> ?
>
> I never did.
>

>> 4. Wait for a sync between the Apache repo and ibiblio, or is this
>> something that we need to ping someone about?
>>

> m1 repo - wait
> m2 repo - ping

OK

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
OK, I'm finally getting back to this. I've run the tests in my local M2
repo and, using the (slightly modified, see below) recipe below, I've
managed to get it to work as expected.

To get this show on the road I will subscribe to repository@ and ask for
some guidance. Will post back here later.

Carlos Sanchez wrote:
> Are you thinking about doing it in the m1 or m2 repo?
>
> see below
>
> On 6/7/06, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
>> So, in the simple example below, covering commons-lang, the procedure
>> would be:
>>
>> 1. Copy all files from /commons-lang/ to
>> /org/apache/commons/commons-lang/ in the *Apache* repo
>>
>> 2. Change the groupId of all the pom files under
>> /org/apache/commons/commons-lang/ so that they use the
>> org.apache.commons groupId
>>
>> 3. Add relocation elements to all pom files in /commons-lang/ pointing
>> them to org.apache.commons like this:
>>
>>    <relocation>
>>      <groupId>org.apache.commons</groupId>
>>    </relocation>

Just a note that this is in the <distributionManagement> section of the pom.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
Are you thinking about doing it in the m1 or m2 repo?

see below

On 6/7/06, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
> So, in the simple example below, covering commons-lang, the procedure
> would be:
>
> 1. Copy all files from /commons-lang/ to
> /org/apache/commons/commons-lang/ in the *Apache* repo
>
> 2. Change the groupId of all the pom files under
> /org/apache/commons/commons-lang/ so that they use the
> org.apache.commons groupId
>
> 3. Add relocation elements to all pom files in /commons-lang/ pointing
> them to org.apache.commons like this:
>
>    <relocation>
>      <groupId>org.apache.commons</groupId>
>    </relocation>
>
> If I understand the model documentation correctly, we shouldn't have to
> use artifactId or version since they are the same. But should we add a
> <message> ?

I never did.

> 4. Wait for a sync between the Apache repo and ibiblio, or is this
> something that we need to ping someone about?

m1 repo - wait
m2 repo - ping

> Is that correct so far?
>

> When we later decide to release our first artifact using the new
> groupId, should we also copy it to the repo using the groupId? My gut
> feeling says no, but it's best to ask.

no

> If I want to try this out locally first, can I test it in my local repo
> ${user.home}/.m2/repository/... or do I need to use a local httpd
> serving as a central repo?

local is ok

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 6/14/06, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
> Niall Pemberton wrote:
> > Whats the state of play with this - I was just about to do the release
> > for Chain 1.1 - it has been modified to have
> > <groupId>org.apache.commons</groupId> - is it OK to release with this
> > or should I revert to <groupId>commons-chain</groupId>?
>
> Niall,
>
> I haven't had time yet to make the relocations tests in my local repo yet.
>
> Please revert the groupId to commons-chain before releasing Chain 1.1.

OK

> Sorry for the inconvenience.

No problem, thanks for the quick response.

Niall

Posted by Nicolas De Loof <ni...@capgemini.com>.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
Brett,

any comments on this?

cheers

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Apache Maven - http://maven.apache.org/
Better Builds with Maven - http://library.mergere.com/

Re: [all] change group id? [WAS Re: [logging] RC on ibiblio ?]

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Hi Brett

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Re: [logging] RC on ibiblio ?

Posted by Nicolas De Loof <ni...@capgemini.com>.

Re: [logging] RC on ibiblio ?

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: [logging] RC on ibiblio ?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 4/5/06, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> Right. But is there any reason we couldn't create a Maven 2 parallel to the
> Maven 1 repo we have at http://cvs.apache.org/repository/? We could deploy
> RCs there.

It's already there:

Re: [logging] RC on ibiblio ?

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: [logging] RC on ibiblio ?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Re: [logging] RC on ibiblio ?

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 10:05 +0200, Nicolas De Loof wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can someone upload commons-logging RC on Maven2 ibiblio repository ?
> It would be very cool to also upload a POM and the sources jar...

That would be a good idea.

We should also provide a link on the downloads page or something
similar. Just today a work colleague was looking for a later version
than 1.0.4 in order to get log4j TRACE support. I told him there was an
RC out, but there was just no way for him to locate it...

By the way, there is still an outstanding discussion about whether to
add JDK14Logger back into the commons-logging-api.jar file. It was there
in the previous release. It probably shouldn't be; it's not logical.
However it does no harm as far as I can see, and the point was made that
because the current RC doesn't include it, it isn't a drop-in
replacement.

So I'm +1 on adding JDK14Logger back to the api jar, then cutting a new
RC and uploading to ibiblio + linking from useful places.

Alternatively, we could just make the above change then hold a release
vote. I think we've given this RC enough time for feedback.

Cheers,

Simon