Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Norbert Sándor <pr...@hotmail.com> on 2004/06/29 21:46:32 UTC

3.1

The 3.1 release seems very promising. Is there a roadmap for that release?

Thanks in advance,
Norbi

Re: Preferred project layout [auf Viren geprueft]

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@intelligentworks.com>.
Spindle places new pages component in the folder that contains the .application file (or .library file if that's what you are adding the page/component too). Its the simplest choice right now as Spindle does not yet have the capability to update .application/.library files with <page> or <component> tags. Well, it could easily do this by rewriting the file (older versions of Spindle did this) but I'm staying away from that approach. Working towards an update mechanism that preserves the tags in the order a user has added them (and preserves your comments!).

The rules Tapestry uses to locate things are quite complex (maybe too complex?) The best reference for these rules is the Tapestry javadocs themselves.

Pages (class comment):

http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/doc/api/org/apache/tapestry/resolver/PageSpecificationResolver.html

Components (class comment):

http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/doc/api/org/apache/tapestry/resolver/ComponentSpecificationResolver.html

Template lookup is done by a private method so its javadoc is not publicly available (outside of examining the source of course) Here is the javadoc for DefaultTemplateSource#findTemplate()

/**
* Finds the template for the given component, using the following rules:
* <ul>
* <li>If the component has a $template asset, use that
* <li>Look for a template in the same folder as the component
* <li>If a page in the application namespace, search in the application root
* <li>Fail!
* </ul>
*
* @return the template, or null if not found
*
**/

So by the last javadoc, component templates must be located in the same folder as the spec (unless a $template asset is used)

Whew, long and complicated. The short story is that the spindle wizard places things where they will be picked up without requiring a modification to a .application or .library file. The Spindle builder, however, implements and uses all the rules stated above. So, if you have a component that is not being picked up, either its not in a place where it will be picked up by default, or its not defined in a <page> or <component> tag in the application/library, or Spindle is broken.

Would need to know specifics on where your Border component is located to make an opinion on whether Spindle screwed up.

Last thing, normally, the way Tapestry 3.0 works, application pages/components can't sit in the classpath next to the .java files if the application spec is under /context. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here (I've now gone an confused myself with all of the above). There is a way to place your application in the classpath, see

http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/doc/api/org/apache/tapestry/ApplicationServlet.html#getApplicationSpecificationLocation()
and
http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/doc/api/org/apache/tapestry/ApplicationServlet.html#getApplicationSpecificationPath()

Geoff

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@intelligentworks.com>.

Re: 3.1

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
"Tapestry Director's Cut"
"Tapestry The Special Edition"
"Mystery Science Tapestry 3000"

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 15:42:06 +0800, Rosdi Kasim <ro...@onepixel.com.my> wrote:

> No!.. i think Tapestry XP or Tapestry 2005 sounds MUCH better! :D

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: 3.1

Posted by Warner Onstine <sw...@warneronstine.com>.
How about "Tapestry Reloaded" and then "Tapestry Revolutions". (Sorry
had to throw out the Matrix references).

-warner

Re: 3.1

Posted by Rosdi Kasim <ro...@onepixel.com.my>.

Re: 3.1

Posted by Marcus Brito <mb...@gmail.com>.

Re: 3.1

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 13:59:45 +0200, Vjeran Marcinko <vj...@tis.hr> wrote:
> Maybe it will be called 4.0 because of major refactorings ? ;-)
>
> -Vjeran

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: 3.1

Posted by Vjeran Marcinko <vj...@tis.hr>.

<pr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The 3.1 release seems very promising. Is there a roadmap for that release?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Norbi

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: 3.1

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

<pr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The 3.1 release seems very promising. Is there a roadmap for that release?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Norbi

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry