Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> on 2015/07/09 00:42:41 UTC

Ticket 634 (was: Release 9 tickets)

On 6 July 2015 at 19:12, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have been looking at the tickets that are currently in release 9 and I
> want to get them completed as soon as possible to get towards a new
> release. With that in mind, I'd like to discuss a few of the tickets now to
> get some opinions.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/634 seems to really detail 4
> issues (as listed in full by #745 - I haven't checked if these are separate
> tickets anywhere yet):
>   a) the visual artefact of the comments hiding the draft view status
> dropdown when this gets wide
>   b) on submit, any warning about the submission is out of sight at the
> top of the page
>   c) you need to re-select the duplicate resolution to make the input for
> the duplicate id to appear
>   d) clicking cancel keeps the draft image in view

​
Looking at this again, I wonder why I didn't consider that the preview
(draft) mode might no longer be appropriate, at least for the ticket
details section. As it is, the preview is only displaying due to the page
reloading without the ticket having been successfully submitted. While it
is important for users to spot when this is the case, there might be better
ways to achieve this.

> For b) we could look at showing warnings and messages in the sticky header
> though it would be nice to be able to highlight fields that are causing
> problems.

​This in particular would be one of the things we could do. We could also
consider a warning on moving away from a page.

The combination of these should fix three out of the four problems noted if
I have understood this properly now.

Cheers,
    Gary

Re: Ticket 634 (was: Release 9 tickets)

Posted by Gary <ga...@physics.org>.
Hi Tim,

OK, that could explain a lot. I was wondering why everyone was so quiet.
Ryan mentioned something to me about that last night but I didn't
realise the possible implications.

Thank you for letting me know!

Cheers,
    Gary