Posted to sysadmins@spamassassin.apache.org by Dave Jones <da...@apache.org> on 2017/06/08 16:05:53 UTC

Tracking tasks/work for sysadmins

Kevin,
Do we have access to something like Jira or BZ where we can put in our
tasks for this team and track them?  I think it will be essential to
plan out future goals and track issues/tasks for our group.

--
Dave Jones

Re: Tracking tasks/work for sysadmins

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
On 6/8/2017 2:58 PM, Dave Jones wrote:
> First item.  The sysadmins area (component) is setup on BZ.  There is
> a component called "Website/Infrastructure" that has 4 bugs in it that
> we need to address.  There was a 5th one about our old zones2 hosting
> needing to be decommissioned but I closed that one since that is
> behind us now.  :)

I only show 3 in the component.

7403 - Apache CMS for SpamAssassin website - This is moving again. See
the INfra ticket
7349 - Helo for bugzilla - closed now
6887 - FreeBSD build issue - I've updated the note, thanks.

Were there others?

> I use Slack at work and it's helpful as I am a remote employee.  I see
> the benefits of using it in this team in short coordinated times when
> realtime chatting is needed to tshoot a problem.  I would prefer to
> get on a phone call for lengthy conversations that require a lot of
> back and forth over typing in email or Slack.
>
> I feel pretty strongly that we should have the primary conversations
> on this mailing list for historical/documentation/transparency
> purposes but I would be fine with using Slack for the occasional use
> with the understanding that just because it says I am available
> doesn't mean I am available for this team since our day jobs are the
> first priority.
I'm +1 with slack.

I setup spamassassin.slack.com as a team and sent you both invites.

Also, I have screenhero setup as well so let me know if you need invites
for that.

Can you add this to the infranotes:

You’ve enabled anyone with an *@apache.org* email address to join the
*Apache SpamAssassin* team on Slack.

The next step is to share the link to your team’s signup page:

https://join.slack.com/spamassassin/signup
<https://join.slack.com/spamassassin/signup?t=x-195042461828-194920460163>

Be sure to mention that it’s necessary to use an *@apache.​org* email
address for signing up. $img_alt

Regards,
KAM

--
Kevin A. McGrail
Asst. Treasurer & VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation

Re: Tracking tasks/work for sysadmins

Posted by Dave Jones <da...@apache.org>.
[...]

Dave

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.

Posted by Bryan Vest <mu...@gmail.com>.
Another thought if it sounds interesting and it is allowed by the ASF.
Setting up a slack channel for the admin group. More direct communication,
and the webhooks could be used to notify of situations the admin's need to
be or would like to be notified about.
The clients are supported on almost any platform.
The free version will store the last 10k messages.

We started using it where I work when communication between different
departments started to fracture.
--Bryan

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 12:35 PM, Kevin A. McGrail <kevin.mcgrail@mcgrail.com

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.

Posted by Dave Jones <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.
On 6/8/2017 12:29 PM, Bryan Vest wrote:
> I also like this idea. There will always be things to do and that will help
> a lot.

Welcome back!  The idea is great because I've been writing notes for
eons about things that could be done and it will give me a place to
document and discuss them all so it's captured in one place.

Re: Tracking tasks/work for sysadmins

Posted by Bryan Vest <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.