Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by jean-frederic clere <jf...@gmail.com> on 2021/09/19 07:09:25 UTC

Problems with let's encrypt

Hi,

I have some problems with let's encrypt certificates and firefox,
basically I get:
Error code: MOZILLA_PKIX_ERROR_REQUIRED_TLS_FEATURE_MISSING

It looks like tomcat and tomcat-native are missing something with my
certificate, the same certificate with with httpd.

The work-around is security.ssl.enable_ocsp_must_staple=false in the
firefox configuration.

Has someone the same problem?

I think it is related to
+++
              Authority Information Access:
                 OCSP - URI:http://r3.o.lencr.org
                 CA Issuers - URI:http://r3.i.lencr.org/

+++
and SSLUseStapling On
--
Cheers

Jean-Frederic

Re: Problems with let's encrypt

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@gmail.com>.
On 21/09/2021 15:16, Rainer Jung wrote:
> Am 21.09.2021 um 14:39 schrieb Christopher Schultz:
>> Jean-Frederic,

>>> May be it is related to that I am using mod_md in Apache httpd and
>>> just moved the certificate/key to use the pair in tomcat.
>>>
>>> And yes I have the Must-Staple in the certicate but I don't know why...
>>
>> If you had mod_md request the cert, I suspect it included "must
>> staple" in the request, since mod_md should be performing the stapling
>> internally.
>>
>> If you copied the cert from that environment into Tomcat, then you
>> will likely have to enable stapling there, in Tomcat, too.
>>
>> -chris
>
> Default for MjustStaple in mod_md should be off, but it is configurable:
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/en/mod/mod_md.html#mdmuststaple
>
> I have not checked, whether the default changed or whether the must
> staple of the old certificate that needs renewal comes into play.

Correct I have:
ServerAdmin jfclere@gmail.com
MDCertificateAgreement
https://letsencrypt.org/documents/LE-SA-v1.2-November-15-2017.pdf
MDomain jfclere.myddns.me
MDMustStaple On

So Yes I have MDMustStaple On and SSLUseStapling On in the httpd
VirtualHost configuration.

Note using MDRenewWindow 60s renew the cert and fix the "problem".

If I have time I will looking how to add the SSLUseStapling to tomcat
but that is probably not urgent ;-)

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Jean-Frederic,