Posted to dev@marmotta.apache.org by Sebastian Schaffert <ss...@apache.org> on 2013/03/26 16:10:18 UTC

Updated License and Notice files

Dear all (especially mentors),

could you please have a look at the updated LICENSE and NOTICE files? I now
took a very different approach following more-or-less what Apache Geronimo
and Apache ODE are doing:
- the NOTICE file contains attribution for all 3rd party software bundled
in the respective distribution, a full copy of the 3rd party NOTICE file
(if it exists), and a pointer to its source code
- the LICENSE file contains a list of licenses (full-text) for reference

I think this complies fully with the requirements detailled in
http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html . The only issue might be that it
is too extensive. However, most licenses anyways require some form of
attribution (especially also the Apache License), so it is easier to
include all of them in the same way. In those cases where this is not
strictly required, it is just fair towards the authors to mention them
anyways :)

The extensive NOTICE files will only be relevant in the binary
distributions, because they bundle many 3rd party libraries. The source
distribution NOTICE will only mention the Javascript and Java source files
that we include in our source tree.

The purpose of this approach is as follows:

if someone wants to use and redistribute one of the distributions,
regardless whether it is the source or one of the binary distributions, he
needs to be aware of the copyrights of bundled libraries. So he can go to
the NOTICE file and check there for any license that might conflict with
his intentions. The NOTICE file mentions the copyright holders and licenses
of all the bundled software, as well as pointers to the respective source
code repositories (to know where it comes from) and (in case it exists) the
content of the referred project's NOTICE file. In case he wants more
details about the license, its full text can be looked up in the LICENSE
file.

Could you please check the following distributions at
http://people.apache.org/~sschaffert/:
- apache-marmotta-3.0.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT-src.zip
- apache-marmotta-3.0.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT-webapp.zip

The -ldpath distribution is not yet updated (it will be mostly a subset of
the webapp). The -installer distribution is mostly the same as the -webapp,
but contains in addition Apache Tomcat and IzPack. I am currently
uploading, so it might be available only in a few minutes. :)

Greetings,

Sebastian

Re: Updated License and Notice files

Posted by Sebastian Schaffert <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Fabian,

thanks for the info. I think it is necessary to include notice for all
bundled 3rd party libraries because of the "Source Access" condition.
Either the source has to be included in the distribution, or the NOTICE
file needs to include a pointer for each library where the source code can
be found:

http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html#labeling

Greetings,

Sebastian

Posted by Sebastian Schaffert <se...@gmail.com>.
2013/3/28 Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>

> On 28/03/13 14:52, Sebastian Schaffert wrote:
>
>> Hi Andy,
>>
>> thanks for pointing this out. Comments inline below:
>>
>> 2013/3/28 Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>
>>
>>  Let's take a look at two examples; I think they need to handled
>>> differently.
>>>
>>> == D3.js
>>>
>>> This is minimized and has no license statement.
>>>
>>> We don't want to imply it's Apache contributed code
>>>
>>> I believe this needs a entry in NOTICE.
>>>
>>> (an alternative might be to put a LICENSE/NOTCIE file in that directory -
>>> not sure about that)
>>>

>> Neither am I. I am already sufficiently confused with legal issues :)
>>

>>> == Sgvizler.pack.js
>>>
>>> This has a copyright license in the file so this is is definitely under
>>> the
>>>    http://www.apache.org/dev/****licensing-howto.html#mod-****notice<http://www.apache.org/dev/**licensing-howto.html#mod-**notice>
>>> <http://www.apache.org/**dev/licensing-howto.html#mod-**notice<http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#mod-notice>
>>> >

>>> "it suffices to leave those notices in their original locations."
>>>

>>>  On the one hand, yes. On the other hand, the NOTICE needs to contain
>> pointers to the source code locations of 3rd party works:
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/legal/**3party.html#labeling<http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html#labeling>
>>
>> (see Source Access).
>>
>> The Source Access is the main reason why these entries are in the NOTICE
>> file.
>>

> Marmotta uses falls under "Source Included"
>
> (having a non-NOTICE file is possible as well)

In the source distribution yes. But the binary distributions are actually
causing me more headache. :-)

Would you say it is acceptable to follow the SOLR example?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sebastian Schaffert <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andy,

Re: Updated License and Notice files

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
OK, so let's go to try with the RC4 ;-)

--
Sergio Fernández

Re: Updated License and Notice files

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Sebastian,

Posted by Sebastian Schaffert <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Fabian,

how can we treat this reasonably? For example, the Logback library
explicitly asks the licensee to choose:

http://logback.qos.ch/license.html

Jackson also explicitly requires the person who *redistributes* to choose
the license under which he does:

http://wiki.fasterxml.com/JacksonDownload

I understand the requirement to have a minimized NOTICE file as "it should
be easy to understand what are the legal consequences". I think I managed
to do this by providing a properly structured and easy to read NOTICE file
for each of the different distributions, even though it might be longer
than necessary. If anyone needs information on how to redistribute, he will
not have to spend more than 15 minutes at most with this filek, and
overview is easy to get. On the other hand, I fear the legal consequences
of leaving something out that should have been there much more than the 15
minutes investment.

Our binary distributions contain a whole framework, which of course has
many dependencies to other libraries. In this sense, I think Apache
Marmotta is comparable to projects like Apache Geronimo, Apache SOLR, or
Apache ODE. All three have similar extensive NOTICE files, e.g.:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lucene/dev/trunk/solr/NOTICE.txt

SOLR even maintains a directory with all notices and licenses:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lucene/dev/trunk/solr/licenses/

On the other hand, I did not see the requirement for a "minimal" NOTICE in
any of the official ASF documentation. The only real requirement is the 4th
guiding principle (see http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html): "Users of
Apache products must be provided with all licensing terms applicable to any
part of the product and must be given prominent notice when any of those
terms include restrictions significantly different from the Apache License."

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

and as you see here [1] there might no be consensus at all on certain things.

[1] http://incubator.markmail.org/thread/b7cnqiweyre44pg5

--
Fabian
http://twitter.com/fctwitt