Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Paolo De Marco <pa...@realcomm.it> on 2013/03/18 16:23:12 UTC

CentOS with X Server

Hello,
I've cloudstack 4.0.1 installed and worked with Xen.
I have sever template. Now I want to add a template with CentOS 6.3 with
X server. I can install all but CentOS start only in text mode... Startx
doesn't work. Same thing with Ubuntu 12.04.
Any idea?
Thanks.
Paolo

Re: CentOS with X Server

Posted by Kirk Kosinski <ki...@gmail.com>.
On XenServer, PV mode Linux VMs do not have a virtual video card and are
unable to run X on the console. The console you see in XenCenter and
CloudStack for such VMs is actually a virtual serial console. If you
want to use X on a PV mode Linux VM, set up a VNC server in the VM and
connect directly to it using a VNC client instead of using the console
in CloudStack or XenCenter.

Alternatively you can use the "Other (32/64-bit)" OS Types.  This will
create VMs in HVM mode with emulated hardware, including a video card.
The downside of HVM is poor performance and limited hardware
configuration options (100 Mb/s NIC, single CPU core, etc.).

Best regards,
Kirk

Re: CentOS with X Server

Posted by Paolo De Marco <pa...@realcomm.it>.