Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Norbet Reilly <nr...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/23 07:38:28 UTC

Support for external bundle push

Hi,

I'm very new to OSGi but it seems a very good fit for a solution I'm working on.

My question is whether it is possible in a) OSGi and b) Felix to
implement a scheme where bundles could periodically be pushed to the
OSGi container (or polled for by it, based on a timestamp) and then
installed/resolved automatically. Given OSGi's history and design
goals it sounds to me like something which would be "in scope" but I
can't find any specific references supporting my hunch (or don't know
how best to look possibly).

I note that Felix has JIRAs about lack of an HTTP service which seems
to me to be a relevant factor too (although my transport probably
wouldn't be HTTP), is this hunch correct?

Any opinions/feedback would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Support for external bundle push

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
You could easily write a bundle that that periodically polls some remote
repository and installs bundles from it, this would be no problem.

If you want to also automatically resolve the installed bundle's
dependencies, you could put your remote bundles into an OBR repository
and use OBR to install/resolve your remote bundles after polling. Felix
already includes an experimental OBR, but it just so happens that I am
about to commit a new version that is much improved. Look for it in the
next week hopefully.

I don't think this has anything to do with the HTTP Service.

-> richard