Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com> on 2015/10/29 21:58:50 UTC

Git with Eclipse

Trying to help out with the docs without doing too much damage.
I am new to git.

I am using Eclipse with the egit/mylyn plug-in and I have managed to get
the source for the docs-admin downloaded.

The "Configure Fetch" has a Source Ref of "refs/heads/*" and a
Desctination Ref  of "refs/remotes/origin/*"
I think that I have the right sources. They seem to match the published
docs.

I have made my changes and think that I need to create a pull request to
get one of the Cloudstack gods to decide if my attempts are worthy.

I have created the pull request in Eclipse but when I try to submit it I
get an error box titled "Submit failed" popping up with the rather
cryptic "Unexpected error: Invalid request. "base", "head" weren't
supplied".
I think that I have to configure the
"Remotes/origin/https://gethub.com/apache/cloudstack-doc-admin.git"
entry  using "Configure Push" menu.

It has a section called "Ref mappings" that I gather is how git figures
out how I want my changes mapped back into the remote repos.

Am I looking in the right places?
If so, what are the right "Source Ref" and "Destination Ref" entries to
get a pull request that will please the gods (both local and remote).

It looks like editing and creating pull requests gets easy once this is
working.

Still have to work on getting the document production working so I can
actually see the fruits of my labour.

Thanks

Ron

*
*

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: Git with Eclipse

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Thanks for the feedback.
It is just a small change to see if I can get the process to work.
It is an attempt to clarify a section that I found a bit hard to
understand so I hope that it does make that section easier to read for
the next person.

There is a lot more information in the 4.4 Design Docs which includes
changes made in the 4.5 release which is a bit confusing.
I am not sure how important this stuff is and wonder if some of the
material about GPUs needs to be included in the Admin documentation as a
statement of how they work in the current version rather than asking
people to search through all of the design notes to find out how GPUs
are handled .

Ron

Re: Git with Eclipse

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: Git with Eclipse

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: Git with Eclipse

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Re: Git with Eclipse

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
Ron, in eclipse i avoid doing any work involving multiple remotes. I do
those things from the commandline. Other things work fine and the part with
remotes might work well as well these days. If you use only your fork from
eclipse and fetch and rebase from apache or github  from out side eclipse
you won't have much issues either but integrating is really for the Devine.
I won't go as far as to say it doesn't work but I recognise your pain and
there is to much useful stuff to be done to dive into this IMHO.

What Sebastien describes is good with one addition: keep your fork up to
date by pushing a fetch from apache back to yours from time to time. What I
do is I fetch master from github/apache, branch, checkout my branch, edit
and commit on my branch and then push my branch to my fork (not using
master there  at all. The rest I do on the github ui as Sebastien
describes.

--
Daan

Re: Git with Eclipse