Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2013/01/28 20:58:16 UTC

Re: Can the begin/end of an already indexed annotation be changed?

On 1/28/2013 2:44 PM, Pablo Duboue (KeaText) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The javadoc for CAS.addFsToIndexes says:
>
>   Important: after you have called addFsToIndexes(...) on a FS, do not change
> the values of any features used
>   for indexing. If you do, the index will become corrupted and may be
> unusable. If you need to change an
>   index feature value, first call removeFsFromIndexes(...) on the FS, change
> the feature values, then call
>   addFsToIndexes(...) again.
>

> Now, what are the "features used for indexing"...?

In UIMA, you can define your own indexes, based on any features you want.  The
standard "built-in" indexes use begin/ end features for subtypes of Annotation.
But if you have feature "color" for some type, and want to have an index by
color, you can define such an index.

So, the features used for indexing is up to the user to specify (on top of the
built-in index for annotations).

-Marshall