Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by balu phani <cr...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/13 09:18:20 UTC

how to configure smtp and port number to send mails through proper authentication

Hi,
I have created a mail-id as svn.commit@gmail.com.
Now i want to use this mailid and its password to send all my commit mails.
For that i need to configure smtp as smtp.google.com and port is 587
and user name as svn.commit@gmail.com and password is "secret".

How can i do this.
I googled and found about mailer.py but it's not working.
Please help me .

RE: how to configure smtp and port number to send mails through proper authentication

Posted by Bob Archer <bo...@amsi.com>.
> On Oct 13, 2009, at 04:18, balu phani wrote:
>
> > I have created a mail-id as svn.commit@gmail.com.
> > Now i want to use this mailid and its password to send all my commit
> > mails.
> > For that i need to configure smtp as smtp.google.com and port is 587
> > and user name as svn.commit@gmail.com and password is "secret".
> >
> > How can i do this.
> > I googled and found about mailer.py but it's not working.
>
> I have not used mailer.py myself, but looking at its sample
> configuration file, it seems pretty straightforward.
>
> Taking a look at mailer.conf.example available here...
>
> http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/tools/hook-scripts/mailer/
>
> ...I would assume your conf file needs to contain the following lines:
>
> smtp_hostname = smtp.google.com
> smtp_username = svn.commit@gmail.com
> smtp_password = secret
>
> I do not see a way to configure the port number. Is this the part you
> were stuck on? What happens if you use the three lines above and don't
> specify the port number?

I'm assuming you could add the port to the hostname: smtp.google.com:587

BOb

Re: how to configure smtp and port number to send mails through proper authentication

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.