Posted to user@fineract.apache.org by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org> on 2018/10/10 15:59:48 UTC

Dev vs User Mailing Lists

Reading over the escalation guide and the advice it gave on directing
appropriate issues/matters to the respective mailing lists, it got me
thinking about our Fineract Dev and Fineract User lists.

We are always trying to be inclusive especially around awarding merit or
committership in valuing non-technical contributions to the project. In
that same spirit, I worry we sometimes might be leaving out non-technical
members of the community who might only be subscribed to the user list when
we treat dev as the primary list for all communications (community-related,
etc whether they're technical or not).

I know we don't want to clutter the mailing lists and we don't want to
cross-post everything across both lists but what do ewe think are some ways
to address this?

One possible option is just to consolidate the lists into dev but I don't
think that is good long-term because as community grows we will have
distinct technical vs. functional/design conversations happening.

I know that user list is small but that might be a product of the fact that
we direct everyone to sign up for dev because most conversations happen on
dev

Should everyone just operate under the norm that dev is the primary list
and any public community-related matter or announcement will come through
there and that everyone should be subscribed to that list to not miss any
key information?

Or should we just operate in the fashion of cross-posting to both lists if
it's relevant to both audiences - that requires extra effort and ensures
everybody receives the message but then it does dilute the discussion as
input given on @user wouldn't be seen by @Dev <de...@fineract.apache.org>

CC'ing ComDev too because they probably have some good suggestions based on
on other projects. However our community might be distinct in that we have
a larger user-facing community than most more
technical/infrastructure-oriented Apache projects.

Thanks,

Ed

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
Hey all,

We already have a hipchat channel: https://apache.hipchat.com/chat/room/4661218

I will not go to a WhatsApp group for Fineract for the following reasons:
* Splitting my communications across 9+ communication applications has
made it near impossible for me to track all of the questions asked of
me.  I'm dropping balls simply because I forget which direction they
are thrown at me from.
* WhatsApp requires those who use it to upload all of their contacts
to the WhatsApp servers.  I will not place this requirement on people
who wish to communicate with me about Fineract.
* Although I do have WhatsApp installed, the app does not offer a
sufficiently finely granular control over notifications for my
purposes.  Messages to muted groups are still counted in the new
message count on the "badge notifications".  This makes it impossible
for me to distinguish between urgent messages and non-urgent messages,
and has lead me to remove WhatsApp's permissions to send me any
notifications at all.
* It is important to me to concentrate on one person to communicate
with at a time, and WhatsApp and many other instant communication
applications do not make appropriate use of my attention.  They make
me less effective at most things that I want to do by constantly
interrupting me.  I incur a high attention switching cost in that
environment, and also risk addiction to that little dopamine kick that
every communication gives you.
* Mark T. is right: a WhatsApp group is not archived on Apache
infrastructure.  I can't create a link to messages there when explain
the history of a decision.

Best Regards,
Myrle

Re: Dev vs User Mailing Lists

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
Hey all,

Re: Dev vs User Mailing Lists

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
Hey all,

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
Javier,

Thanks for the suggestion about a WhatsApp group - I agree that a
user-friendly more real-time chat tool is a nice complement to mailing
lists but by no means a replacement. I agree with all the feedback shared
by Mark and Myrle and don't really think WhatsApp might be the most ideal
tool even for a real-time chat namely for a lot of the reasons Myrle
suggested - I also think that for it to both be an effective tool for users
and developers looking to collaborate it needs to have some of the
integrations with Github, code formatting, etc. that tools like Hipchat,
Slack, Gitter already have.

As Myrle said, for the Apache Fineract community, HipChat exists and for
Mifos communities, we have our Gitter chat (which we continue to evaluate
versus options like Slack and Zulip)

While this is only related to the Mifos community, one thing that we are
exploring (and it's in the spirit of making a more user-friendly and
engaging user experience) is looking at an option like Discourse to replace
the Mifos Mailing lists and our Q&A tool. I believe it ticks off all the
boxes listed by Mark but also is more in-line with the user experience
around chat - it can provide mailing list, forum, Q & A/gamification, chat
features all in one.

See https://www.discourse.org/features

At the GSOC mentor summit, Yaw from Open Data Kit had some wonderful
feedback about their experiences with Discourse. You can see why they
switched at
https://opendatakit.org/2017/06/how-to-get-started-on-the-odk-forum/ and
see their implementation at https://forum.opendatakit.org/

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
Javier,

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
Javier,

Posted by Javier Borkenztain <ja...@sero.uy>.

Re: Dev vs User Mailing Lists

Posted by Javier Borkenztain <ja...@sero.uy>.

Re: Dev vs User Mailing Lists

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Dev vs User Mailing Lists

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 7:34 PM Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org> wrote:

> @Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org> Did you have feedback on the topic of
> unifying into one mailing list instead of dev & user?

I think it's a good idea.  I'll be a +1 if you propose it.

: o),
Myrle

Re: Dev vs User Mailing Lists

Posted by Reggie Willoughby <re...@student.ashford.edu.INVALID>.
With an individual is alt comfort , he/she will open up more about what's the matter at hand.As to where when discomfort plays an isolater in the matter ,causing isolation to hide yourself from even inquiring the subject .All questions are important, So are experiences, & the best & correct way to achieve are through resources,

________________________________
Posted by Reggie Willoughby <re...@student.ashford.edu.INVALID>.

Posted by Sendoro Juma <se...@singo.africa>.
+1

Mr. Ed... do combine too the other side...."You know what I mean"

Re: Dev vs User Mailing Lists

Posted by James Dailey <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Dev vs User Mailing Lists

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Joan,

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 9:18 PM Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...I'm firmly of the opinion that you can't completely ignore real-time
> communications and expect 100% of everything to occur asynchronously
> on mailing lists....

I totally agree with that, as you say synchronous discussions will
happen anyway and that's good.

OTOH I think we have a number of podlings, and maybe projects, for
which the dev list seems to be just an annoyance, things happen on
Slack anyway so who cares? I'm pushing it a bit here but just a bit.

I think there's a balance to be found, and in that sense it's great if
people can tell the stories of what works in their projects. Blog
posts in the "Success at Apache" series or under
https://blogs.apache.org/comdev/ would be *very* welcome, and I'm
happy to help make them happen, review etc. if desired.

Is your doctoral research available online? It sounds quite relevant
to what we're discussing here.

-Bertrand

Re: [Mifos-users] Dev vs User Mailing Lists

Posted by jubha mayala <ba...@gmail.com>.
Many users do enjoy the mail lists by browsing answered queries and solved
problems, which in Whatsapp or real time chat is quiet difficult to trace
these kind of things!

Regards,
Jimmy

Posted by jubha mayala <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Santosh Math <sa...@confluxtechnologies.com>.
+1

Re: Dev vs User Mailing Lists

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Joan,

Posted by Santosh Math <sa...@confluxtechnologies.com>.
+1

Re: Dev vs User Mailing Lists

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Joan,

Re: Dev vs User Mailing Lists

Posted by Santosh Math <sa...@confluxtechnologies.com>.
+1

Re: Dev vs User Mailing Lists

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the info, Bertrand.

Mailing lists can be just as exclusive as semi-synchronous environments. They may not work for your community, but they work for ours, and removing them will necessarily disadvantage many contributors.

I'm firmly of the opinion that you can't completely ignore real-time communications and expect 100% of everything to occur asynchronously on mailing lists. It explicitly disallows certain types of communication that you can't have in a mailing list. You have the imposition of the formality of a mailing list for newcomers, you have the "being on record" syndrome, you have the "must be subscribed to post" problem (not always), and finally you are ignoring the fact that people will talk real time anyway - so why not make that a venue that you at least have some control/visibility over? In fact, my doctoral research was on how semi-synchronous communications support distance work and learning better than fully asynchronous ones....

-Joan

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Dev vs User Mailing Lists

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Dev vs User Mailing Lists

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by ro...@gardler.org.

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Dev vs User Mailing Lists

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Dev vs User Mailing Lists

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Dev vs User Mailing Lists

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.

Posted by Javier Borkenztain <ja...@sero.uy>.

Re: Dev vs User Mailing Lists

Posted by Javier Galindo <ja...@gmail.com>.
www.google.com

Xavier.Galindo1972

On Oct 11, 2018 04:53, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 6:00 PM Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org> wrote:
> ...One possible option is just to consolidate the lists into dev but I
don't

> think that is good long-term because as community grows we will have
> distinct technical vs. functional/design conversations happening...

Until that happens it's usually preferable to have a single list, and
split later if really, really needed.

Here are some thoughts about busy lists that might help (shameless
plug, on my blog but the actual thoughts are not from me):

https://grep.codeconsult.ch/2011/12/06/stefanos-mazzocchis-busy-list-pattern/

The "single list with tagged messages" pattern also mentioned by Tarun
in this thread is successfully by OpenStack, see [1] for example - I
think that's a great way to keep a community in a single place while
not wasting people's time. One can scan many thread subject lines
quickly if they use such [tags] and if people stick to one topic per
thread that's very efficient.

The key is to allow people to *process* many messages quickly, while
*reading* just the few that are of interest to them.

-Bertrand

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-June/thread.html

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Dev vs User Mailing Lists

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 3:47 PM Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org> wrote:
> ...I suspect that it's a little
> bit odd within Apache for a dev list to be larger than a user list...

It depends on the "shape" of your community.

The rationale for recommending that (most) Apache podlings initially
get a dev list only is that their users list might be too small to be
viable, resulting in a slightly fragmented community.

Some projects stay like that happily forever, maybe because they don't
really have users who are not also developers, or because they are
small communities.

-Bertrand

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 10/10/2018 9:59 AM, Ed Cable wrote:
> Reading over the escalation guide and the advice it gave on directing
> appropriate issues/matters to the respective mailing lists, it got me
> thinking about our Fineract Dev and Fineract User lists.
>
> We are always trying to be inclusive especially around awarding merit or
> committership in valuing non-technical contributions to the project. In
> that same spirit, I worry we sometimes might be leaving out non-technical
> members of the community who might only be subscribed to the user list when
> we treat dev as the primary list for all communications (community-related,
> etc whether they're technical or not).
<snip>
> One possible option is just to consolidate the lists into dev but I don't
> think that is good long-term because as community grows we will have
> distinct technical vs. functional/design conversations happening.
>
> I know that user list is small but that might be a product of the fact that
> we direct everyone to sign up for dev because most conversations happen on
> dev

Most of my experience is with the Solr mailing lists:
solr-user@lucene.apache.org
dev@lucene.apache.org

The solr-user list has almost five times as many subscribers as the dev
list -- 3577 compared to 756. If you only count human-generated
messages, the solr-user list has MUCH more traffic than the dev list.
Counting computer-generated traffic, such as Jira updates, the dev list
traffic dwarfs the user list.I suspect that most dev subscribers who
have an interest in Solr are subscribed to the solr-user mailing list.
Some of the dev subscribers are only there for Lucene and don't care
about Solr ... most of those are probably subscribed to one of the
Lucene user lists, such as java-user@l.a.o.

How a community gets structured is up to that community, and I have no
desire to tell you how to run yours ... but I suspect that it's a little
bit odd within Apache for a dev list to be larger than a user list.

If you have a committer login, you can see interesting mailing list
statistics from your project here:

https://reporter.apache.org/

My own opinion is pretty simple on how to choose which list to send to:
If the comment or question should be seen or addressed by the entire
community, including the masses of end users, it goes to the user list.
More internal discussions will live (or start) on the dev list.  If it's
particularly sensitive, it might need to start on the private (PMC)
list.  Most functional/design conversations related to Solr belong on
dev, but sometimes it's valuable to get input from the full community.
Occasionally there are threads on either public list that we will try to
direct to the other list.  This happens more frequently on dev than
solr-user.

I also help out on IRC when I can.  There's a long-winded description of
how I view that support avenue:
https://wiki.apache.org/solr/IRCChannels

Thanks,
Shawn

Posted by Tarun Mudgal <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

In my opinion, it's better to have a single consolidated list but each
thread would have a tag in the subject.

E.g. [Tech] Regarding tech stuff 1...
        [Announcement] Some Announcement...

That would ensure all the info reaching to everyone and also, will give a
clear idea whether the thread pertains to the user or not, based on which
the user can either partake in it or ignore it.

Thanks

Re: Dev vs User Mailing Lists

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,