Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Andras Balogh <an...@reea.net> on 2011/07/07 15:44:04 UTC

bug in ExtractingRequestHandler with PDFs and metadata field Category

Hi,

     I think this is a bug but before reporting to issue tracker I
thought I will ask it here first.
So the problem is I have a PDF file which among other metadata fields
like Author, CreatedDate etc. has a metadata
field Category (I can see all metadata fields with tika-app.jar started
in GUI mode).
Now what happens that in my SOLR schema I have a "Category" field also
among other fields and a field called "text"
that is holding the extracted text from the PDF.
I added <str name="uprefix">metadata_</str> so all PDF metadata fields
should be saved in solr as "metadata_something" fields.
The problem is that the "Category" metadata field from the PDF for some
reason is not prefixed with "metadata_" and
solr will merge the "Category" field I have in the schema with the
Category metadata from PDF and I will have an error like:
"multiple values encountered for non multiValued field Category"
I fixed this by patching tika-parsers.jar and will ignore the Category
metadata in
org.apache.tika.parser.pdf.PDFParser
but this is not the good solution( I don't need that Category metadata
so it works for me).

So let me know if this should be reported as bug or not.

Regards,
Andras.

Re: bug in ExtractingRequestHandler with PDFs and metadata field Category

Posted by Juan Grande <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andras,

I added <str name="uprefix">metadata_</str> so all PDF metadata fields
> should be saved in solr as "metadata_something" fields.

The problem is that the "Category" metadata field from the PDF for some
> reason is not prefixed with "metadata_" and

solr will merge the "Category" field I have in the schema with the Category
> metadata from PDF

This is the expected behavior, as it's described in
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/ExtractingRequestHandler:

uprefix=<prefix> - Prefix all fields that are not defined in the schema with
> the given prefix.

You can use the fmap parameter to redirect the category metadata to another
field.

Regards,

*Juan*