Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Aaron Tavistock <aa...@geekshow.com> on 2000/03/24 02:58:51 UTC

web.xml parsing problem?

I'm really confused -- it seems like anything I add to the
WEB-INF/web.xml gives me errors.  tomcat runs fine for JSP if I leave
the file as the default, but if I even add anything to web.xml it starts
sending me weird parsing errors and nullPointerExceptions when I restart
tomcat.

For example, I added this between the <web-app> tags:

    <taglib>
        <tablib-uri>/utiltags</taglib-uri>
        <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/jsp/utiltags.tld</taglib-location>
    </taglib>

Now if I restart tomcat I get:

ERROR reading /usr/local/apache/htdocs/WEB-INF/web.xml
At Expected "</tablib-uri>" to terminate element starting on line 9.

ERROR reading /usr/local/apache/htdocs/WEB-INF/web.xml
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.xml.XmlMapper.readXml(XmlMapper.java,
Compiled Code)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.context.WebXmlReader.processFile(WebXmlReader.java,
Compiled Code)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.context.WebXmlReader.contextInit(WebXmlReader.java,
Compiled Code)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.initContext(ContextManager.java,
Compiled Code)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.init(ContextManager.java, Compiled
Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.execute(Tomcat.java,
Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.main(Tomcat.java, Compiled
Code)

As reference, I'm using tomcat-3.1beta, apache-1.3.12, Java 1.2.2, and
standard J2EE on Solaris 2.7.