Posted to dev@marmotta.apache.org by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org> on 2016/11/09 07:35:45 UTC

time to seriously approach 3.4.0 releasing

Hi everybody,

I'm aware the professional priorities of everybody have changed in the last
months. But we need to keep the project alive.

So it's time to seriously approach 3.4.0 release!

Currently we have tracked of https://s.apache.org/PGLI

* MARMOTTA-534 is something annoying that is with us for too long
* We have some KiWi issues (MARMOTTA-640, MARMOTTA-651, MARMOTTA-652) we
should fix.
* I shifted MARMOTTA-584 to 3.5.0 since it introduces a db schema change we
can't support in all databases, therefore requires major work.
* I'd see we should also shift the Sesame upgrade (MARMOTTA-635)
* I've just closed the Ostrich issue (MARMOTTA-621), since its integration
can be considered done.

So, who can commit some time in the next week to work on these issues? Then
we should target for having a 3.4.0 during 2016.

--
Sergio Fernández
Partner Technology Manager

Re: time to seriously approach 3.4.0 releasing

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 1:44 PM, Sebastian Schaffert <
sebastian.schaffert@gmail.com> wrote:

> I did some (mostly automatic) code cleanups across the Marmotta source tree
> as a preparation. Caught a couple of bugs on the way, not sure how much
> impact they had before.

Cool!

What's the timeline for releasing 3.4.0? Any missing features?

Our current backlog https://s.apache.org/PGLI is basically accessing some
issues (MARMOTTA-534, MARMOTTA-651, MARMOTTA-657); no new features
(MARMOTTA-584 shitted to >= 3.5.0 give the side effects on other DBs) and
the Sesame/RDF4J upgrade would be better done in future releases too.

Cheers,

Sebastian Schaffert <se...@gmail.com> schrieb am Mi., 9. Nov.

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 4:57 PM, Aaron Coburn <ac...@amherst.edu> wrote:

> One thing to note is that the current OSGi bundle definitions make it
> difficult to use Marmotta in an OSGi environment.
>
> For example: the code base currently uses version 19 of Guava [1], but the
> import definition for marmotta-commons requires versions 14-16 of guava [2].
>
> There is also at least one module (ldclient-api) that exports the wrong
> packages (either via misspelling or by just by including the wrong library
> packages) [3]
>
> It is possible to work around this in OSGi, but it requires some maven
> gymnastics, explicitly embedding the marmotta dependencies in my code,
> which sort of defeats the purpose of modularity.
>
> There is a PR that addresses this here: https://github.com/apache/
> marmotta/pull/22
>
> It would be great to see this sorted out for 3.4.0.

Indeed.
Rupert, our OSGi expert, can you please take a look to PR #22?
Thanks, Aaron.

Posted by Aaron Coburn <ac...@amherst.edu>.
One thing to note is that the current OSGi bundle definitions make it difficult to use Marmotta in an OSGi environment.

For example: the code base currently uses version 19 of Guava [1], but the import definition for marmotta-commons requires versions 14-16 of guava [2].

There is also at least one module (ldclient-api) that exports the wrong packages (either via misspelling or by just by including the wrong library packages) [3]

It is possible to work around this in OSGi, but it requires some maven gymnastics, explicitly embedding the marmotta dependencies in my code, which sort of defeats the purpose of modularity.

There is a PR that addresses this here: https://github.com/apache/marmotta/pull/22

It would be great to see this sorted out for 3.4.0.

Thanks!
Aaron

[1] https://github.com/apache/marmotta/blob/develop/parent/pom.xml#L622
[2] https://github.com/apache/marmotta/blob/develop/commons/marmotta-commons/pom.xml#L81