Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Ananth Sarathy <an...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/07 17:09:36 UTC

Next Release of Hadoop version number and Kerberos

is the next release of Hadoop going to .21 or .22? I was just wondering,
cause I am hearing conflicting things about the next release having Kerberos
security but looking through some past emails, hearing that it was coming in
.22.

Ananth T Sarathy

Re: Next Release of Hadoop version number and Kerberos

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 8:54 AM, Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Ananth Sarathy
> <an...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> The Security/Kerberos support is a huge project that has been in progress
> for several months, so the implementation spans tens (if not hundreds?) of
> patches. Manually adding these patches to a prior Apache release will take
> days if not weeks of work, is my guess.

Based on a quick check from Yahoo's github
(http://github.com/yahoo/hadoop-common):

Between yahoo 0.20.10 to yahoo 0.20.104.2:

421 commits
combined diff of 8.75 mb
12 person-years worth of work
consists almost exclusively of security work

For a single person, who doesn't know the code it will take months to
apply it to one of the Apache branches.

-- Owen

Re: Next Release of Hadoop version number and Kerberos

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
<an...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Ok, that was what I was thinking.  would there be a patch that could be
> applied to .21 or 20.2 for the Kerberos, since Cloudera is touting there
> .20S  version, but my preference is staying with the latest apache distro
> and patch as needed

The Security/Kerberos support is a huge project that has been in progress
for several months, so the implementation spans tens (if not hundreds?) of
patches. Manually adding these patches to a prior Apache release will take
days if not weeks of work, is my guess.

The 0.20S (aka 0.20.104) branch is over on Yahoo's repository at github.
Currently, the latest Cloudera CDH3 beta release does not have security
integrated, but we are in the midst of this integration as I speak.

Thanks
-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: Next Release of Hadoop version number and Kerberos

Posted by Ananth Sarathy <an...@gmail.com>.
Ok, that was what I was thinking.  would there be a patch that could be
applied to .21 or 20.2 for the Kerberos, since Cloudera is touting there
.20S  version, but my preference is staying with the latest apache distro
and patch as needed

Just curious

Ananth T Sarathy

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.