Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Robert Watkins <ro...@qsipayments.com> on 2001/11/07 01:39:44 UTC

Can I use single signon over multiple Tomcat instances?

Hi.

We've got a web-based application, which for a variety of reasons runs over
multiple TomCat instances (different parts on different boxes, basically). I
don't want to go into those reasons right now, but suffice to say they
exist.

The standard installation that we have is a single Apache server, which
delegates work to Tomcat instances based on the URL provided, all configured
in the worker.properties. Currently, this is using Tomcat 3.2.3, but we plan
to move to Tomcat 4.0.1 "soonish".

We would like to use the single-sign-on capability of Tomcat 4.0. I
understand from reading the docs and searching the archive of the mailing
list that single-sign-on works only within a single virtual host.

What I would like to know is: can a single virtual host span multiple Tomcat
instances? And, if so, how? I was unable to find an answer to this in the
mailing list logs at all.

Thanks in advance,

Robert.

--
Robert Watkins
Software Architect

QSI Payments
E-Payments Infrastructure - Secure Payments Solutions.

Email:       robert.watkins@qsipayments.com
Tel:           +61 7 3210 2522
DID:           +61 7 3224 9756
Fax:           +61 7 3210 2566
Address:          Level 22
                  300 Adelaide Street
                  Brisbane
                  Qld 4000

**    This message or any part of it is intended solely for the named     **
**    addressee and contains privileged and confidential information.     **
**  If you receive this message in error please notify QSI Payments by    **
**   replying to the sender and removing the message from your computer.  **