Posted to dev@xmlbeans.apache.org by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@bea.com> on 2004/02/18 09:03:46 UTC

Last issue before voting on a distribution (was RE: CPL and Apache License 2.0)

In the continuing saga of trying to get a 1.0.1 release ready to be
voted on, I think we have two more issues remaining.  I believe we
have now dealt with the previous two issues: 1) the package  and
namespace renaming for the issue that David Jencks found; and
2) updating the licensing to the latest Apache License 2.0.  It
appears that Eric and Cezar have taken care of these two issues.

Issue #1
However, while I was taking a look at what they fixed, I noticed
that the dist build includes JUnit, which is license under the CPL.
So, I posted a question about this to the licensing list and got
a response from Brian (see below).  This means we need to remove
JUnit from being included in the build process.  If a user
downloads the XMLBeans distribution and wants to use the JUnit
tests, they're going to have to download JUnit separately.  We
can't include it within an Apache-licensed distribution.

Issue #2
Also, someone had asked about being able to include jaxen right
in the distribution.  If we want to do this, I think we're okay
with licensing, since their license is basically the same as the
ASL 1.1.

So, who can take care of removing JUnit from the build (and
whatever else should go along with it)?

And, does anyone want to get jaxen into the build before we
finalize the 1.0.1 distribution?

Once we address these two new issues, I think we are ready to
propose a vote to our new PPMC on our first release (finally!).

Thanks,
Cliff