Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com> on 2009/12/09 11:14:20 UTC

Writing a review. was:Re: svn commit: r886743 [1/4] - in /ofbiz/branches/addbirt: applications/accounting/webapp/accounting/WEB-INF/ applications/accounting/webapp/accounting/WEB-INF/actions/payment/ applications/accounting/webapp/accounting/payment/report/ applications/account...

Hi Scott,

Thank you for you lengthly reply. I agree we should do this better in
the future, I will do my best to improve.  Please continue your reviews
which are certainly good for the project.

A suggestion I have for everybody who is reviewing the commits and
contributions and wants to make some suggestions for improvement please
realize that almost always lot of time is invested to create it. Also
some courage is required to face the direct and harsh complaints that
sometimes are written. This can often be a lot nicer.

When a commit or contribution is reviewed, do not start complaining
straight away there is a stupid mistake, but first give a general
opinion about the commit itself if it is a good idea and if it is
valuable. Nice words in the beginning will make the contributor listen
better to the following comments you have.

If a reviewer complains about certain aspects of the commit or
contribution also provide hints how it can be resolved.

Remember action is reaction, a harsh and direct review will almost
always get the same reaction of the contributor or it will be fully
ignored.

Regards,
Hans

P.S. Yes i also do not always act as i suggest above but I am working at
it.

Re: Writing a review. was:Re: svn commit: r886743 [1/4] - in /ofbiz/branches/addbirt: applications/accounting/webapp/accounting/WEB-INF/ applications/accounting/webapp/accounting/WEB-INF/actions/payment/ applications/accounting/webapp/accounting/payment/report/ applications/account...

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hi Hans,

I understand where you're coming from and I will make an effort to be
more conscience of these points when writing reviews.  One thing to
keep in mind though is that in some cases you may be mistaking brevity
with harshness, with the number of commits coming in these days
reviews can take up a fair bit of time and getting through them before
continuing with regular work can be challenging at best.

This same point applies even more to suggesting solutions, generally
it takes a lot more time to find a solution than it does to identify a
problem.  While I'm sure any reviewer would suggest possible solutions
if it is quick and easy for them to do so, there should never be any
expectation on them to do so just because they identified the issue.
I would suggest that if a problem is significant and a solution cannot
be easily found then the commit should be reverted and the changes
placed in a jira issue for further discussion as people have time/
interest to do so.  I sometimes worry that the community is too
dependent on the trunk as a development base and this creates a sense
of urgency to commit code that otherwise would not be considered
urgent or hasn't had time to evolve into a robust solution.  It is
also easier for a committer to refine and refactor new features over
time in their own local branch without having to worry about
deprecation and migration issues.

Regards
Scott

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
This certainly can't hurt, yes!

Jacques
()  ascii ribbon campaign against HTML e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org

From: "Hans Bakker" <ma...@antwebsystems.com>