Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Harry Putnam <re...@newsguy.com> on 2005/10/05 02:43:42 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: Simple way to make directories display a list of its files

Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com> writes:

> On 10/4/05, Harry Putnam <re...@newsguy.com> wrote:
>>  <Directory /hpweb/TrainingVids/DigitalPhotography>
>>    Options +Indexes
>>  </Directory>
>
> <Directory> refers to filesystem directories, not web directories.
> You need to tag /var/www/localhost/htdocs on the front.
>
> In general, always check the error log when you run into stuff like this.
>
> Joshua.

Haa... thanks, yes that did it.  Now about that log message:

(error_log)
  [Tue Oct 04 19:32:57 2005] [error] [client 192.168.0.4] Directory
  index forbidden by rule:
  /var/www/localhost/htdocs/hpweb/TrainingVids/DigitalPhotography/,
  referer: http://reader.local.net0/hpweb/TrainingVids/

Is there some way I could have made apache tell me what `rule' as in
`forbidden by rule:' above, has been violated?

I tried setting log level to debug but saw nothing more.

Speaking of log messages... I keep seeing this in error_log:

[Tue Oct 04 19:38:03 2005] [error] [client 192.168.0.4] File does not
exist: /var/www/localhost/htdocs/favicon.ico

How can I tell what is looking for this file.  And where to get it?

RE: [users@httpd] Re: Simple way to make directories display a list of its files

Posted by Duncan Drury <d....@gmail.com>.
> Speaking of log messages... I keep seeing this in error_log:
>
> [Tue Oct 04 19:38:03 2005] [error] [client 192.168.0.4] File does not
> exist: /var/www/localhost/htdocs/favicon.ico
>
> How can I tell what is looking for this file.  And where to get it?

Many recent browsers automatically request a favicon.ico located in the root
directory of all sites they visit.  It is the little icon you see next to
the URL and Bookmarks for some sites.

There is a handy web application for making these from any image file at
http://www.chami.com/html-kit/services/favicon/ - if you save one of these
as favicon.ico in the root of each site you will stop seeing these error
messages.  They are safely ignorable too.

Dunx