Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Joshua McKenzie <jm...@apache.org> on 2021/12/16 14:44:30 UTC

LEAK DETECTED: to hot prop cassandra.debugrefcount or not

In tracking down the leak that led to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-17174, it came to my
attention that debugging ref counts is a -D property rather than a JMX
flippable hot property in Ref.java:

public static final boolean DEBUG_ENABLED =
> System.getProperty("cassandra.debugrefcount",
> "false").equalsIgnoreCase("true");

While I used it in this case to get a little more context it turned out
that it wasn't actually necessary given other things logging around the
time of the issue (histogram overflow that Yifan knocked out in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-17155 I believe).

So the question here: do operators / developers find themselves using the
above property frequently enough that we should make it hot proppable via
JMX, or are we fine the way we are now?

I'm on the fence so looking for feedback here.

Thanks!

~Josh

Re: LEAK DETECTED: to hot prop cassandra.debugrefcount or not

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.
I've never used it, but that might not be a useful data point because
this isn't the sort of area I typically do work on, either. +0 :)