Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Joris Poort <gp...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/24 02:20:07 UTC

Hadoop java mapper -copyFromLocal heap size error

As part of my Java mapper I have a command executes some code on the
local node and copies a local output file to the hadoop fs.
Unfortunately I'm getting the following output:

    "Error occurred during initialization of VM"
    "Could not reserve enough space for object heap"

I've tried adjusting mapred.map.child.java.opts to -Xmx512M, but
unfortunately no luck.

When I ssh into the node, I can run the -copyFromLocal command without
any issues. The ouput files are also quite small like around 100kb.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Joris

Re: Hadoop java mapper -copyFromLocal heap size error

Posted by Joris Poort <gp...@gmail.com>.
Hi Uma,

I tried various settings, but it keeps giving me the memory error.
>From what I can tell there should be plenty of memory available since
I'm running on a 4gb node and trying to copy a 100kb file.

Is this the correct place to adjust the memory setting for a child
process forked from a java mapper code?

Shouldn't the default settings be able to execute this type of task?

Is it perhaps because I have a child process copying files into the
HDFS while I'm running a higher level hadoop mapper?

Again any help greatly appreciated - cheers,

Joris