Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Bashiro <ba...@myway.com> on 2007/02/04 13:41:23 UTC

[users@httpd] FAVICO.ICO

Hello folks,

I have this virtual hosts setup. I tested and was working fine.
Suddenly I started getting this error page cannot be displayed.
I checke the error log and found cannot find "favico.ico".
why do I need this file.
Any suggestion on how to solve this ?

Thanks
Bashiro

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.

Re: [users@httpd] FAVICO.ICO

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

http://www.google.com/search?q=favicon.ico

> Any suggestion on how to solve this ?

The favicon thing is not likely related to any error message you are
getting in the browser.  What error message are you seeing exactly?
What else is in the error log?

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] FAVICO.ICO

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.
On Feb 4, 2007, at 4:41 AM, Bashiro wrote:

> I have this virtual hosts setup. I tested and was working fine.
> Suddenly I started getting this error page cannot be displayed.
> I checke the error log and found cannot find "favico.ico".
> why do I need this file.
> Any suggestion on how to solve this ?

The favicon or Favorites Icon is the little icon that shows up to the
left of the URL in the location bar of the browser.  I believe
Internet Explorer started this, but all modern browsers now try to
retrieve this file along with the page.  If it doesn't exist, you'll
get a generic browser-defined icon in the location bar, and a line in
the error log on your server.

There is a favicon.ico in your Apache installation, under manual/
images . Copy that to the DocumentRoot of your virtual host. It has a
little Apache feather logo, if you want to serve a favicon that
corresponds to your site content, design your own. Google for the
exact format.

A missing favicon.ico does not cause errors displaying the page. If
that were the case, half the websites on the planet wouldn't work.
Find out what exactly the error is: turn off 'Friendly Error
Messages' in IE or use a real browser that'll tell you what goes wrong.

S.