Posted to dev@openwebbeans.apache.org by Karl Kildén <ka...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/02 11:01:50 UTC

Java SE with OWB, OSGI?

Hello,

Can I please get a few pointers on how to use OWB in a Java SE environment?
Further Deltaspike has a todo to include documentation for OSGI
environments (Apache Felix, Apache Karaf, Apache ServiceMix). Something
similar on the wishlist for OWB docs?

I have done web based projects with ant / maven / tomee so those parts I
can document pretty well I think. OWB is also the CDI impl for Websphere
right?

Cheers

Re: Java SE with OWB, OSGI?

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Hi Karl!

There are multiple ways to use OWB in SE.

* There is an own Booter class (OwbMain or so).
* getting an OWB Lifecycle instance and starting it up.
* using OWBs own cdi-test framework (pretty much deprecated)

* using Apache DeltaSpike CdiCtrl [1] which is a follow up to our cdi-test, but which also supports many other containers like Weld and TomEE, JBossAS, ...

I would recommend using DeltaSpike until you plan to do heavy tricks in which case I'd use the Lifecycle booting.

Regarding OSGi:
* We have our own OSGi scanner module which provides the basic classloading features.
* Jakob even managed to get it working unter Eclipse RCP [2]
* Charles is using it in felix/KarafEE for Camel afaik.

LieGrue,
strub

[1] http://deltaspike.apache.org/documentation.html#with-java-se
[2] http://www.jakobk.com/2012/03/apache-openwebbeans-meets-eclipse-rcp/