Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by mo...@Storebrand.no on 2003/08/11 13:34:06 UTC

LogManager-error?

Hi

I have created a wrapper to Logger and here follows some code from that
wrapper class (ExceptionCategory):

********
        private Logger logger;

        public ExceptionCategory(String arg1) {
                logger = logger.getLogger(arg1);
        }

********

Unfortunatly I get a runtime-exception when the
ExceptionCategory-constructor is run:

Servlet Error: (class: org/apache/log4j/LogManager, method:
<clinit> signature: ()V) Incompatible argument to
method: java.lang.VerifyError: (class: org/apache/log4j/LogManager,
method: <clinit> signature: ()V) Incompatible argument to method

The LogManager-class is called from the Logger-class and this is probably
the first time LogManager is run on the server (clinit = class init?). I
have thought of a number of possible causes (classpath-issues,
property-configuration-errors and so on) but I have not been able to
pinpoint the error to one of those, neither do I find it reasonable
because the error-message seems pinpoint the error to the LogManager-class
itself! I am using log4j1.2.5 and I am pretty sure that there are no
errors in LogManager (or Logger) in this version, so what am I missing?

Btw: Is the error-message clear to everyone? Or is it approriate of me to
ask for better error-messages?

mvh
Morten Simonsen

Re: LogManager-error?

Posted by Vinodh Lakshminarayan <vi...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,
  I used to get the same version. In my case the problem was some sort of clash between different versions of classes. I had used some classes specific to JRUn server 4.0 (it was in the classpath) This had caused the issue. However when I put the log4j class first in the classpath and the rest following this jar, this error vanished. You can try putting the log4j.jar file first in your classpath

Regards
Vinodh

morten.simonsen@Storebrand.no wrote:

Hi

I have created a wrapper to Logger and here follows some code from that wrapper class (ExceptionCategory):

********
        private Logger logger;

        public ExceptionCategory(String arg1) {
                logger = logger.getLogger(arg1);
        }

********

Unfortunatly I get a runtime-exception when the ExceptionCategory-constructor is run:

Servlet Error: &#40;class: org/apache/log4j/LogManager, method: &lt;clinit&gt; signature: &#40;&#41;V&#41; Incompatible argument to method: java.lang.VerifyError: (class: org/apache/log4j/LogManager, method: <clinit> signature: ()V) Incompatible argument to method