Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Katherine Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> on 2012/04/11 18:11:23 UTC

re:Mohamed Nufail proposal (was Re: GSoC 2012 - To potential student applicants on the list)

On 4/11/2012 4:37 AM, Tiago Espinha wrote:
> Hi Nufail,
> Kathey and Bryan, feel free to contribute your thoughts about Nufail's
> and Siddharth's proposals. The more input we have, the better.

Hi Mohamed,

One important thing is that the proposal in the melange tool has been
updated vs the one in google docs that is available to the general
community.   Please update your google docs document to match your
formal proposal so the whole community can see.

   I like the revised proposal better with a more intense focus on
client  code coverage and OSGI functional testing coverage.  I wonder
what is the approach  for adding OSGi tests?  Is this something that can
easily be incorporated into our JUnit framework. I have to admit I am
totally inexperienced in this area, so welcome not only the promise of
some coverage but education in this area as well.

Thanks

Kathey

Re: Mohamed Nufail proposal (was Re: GSoC 2012 - To potential student applicants on the list)

Posted by Katherine Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
On 4/12/2012 10:45 AM, Mohamed Nufail wrote:
> Hi Kathey,
>
> Thanks for noting. I have updated the proposal in the google doc also.
>
> As for the OSGi tests, I found out that Pax Exam [1] can be used for
> this purpose. Tests can be written using JUnit as any other JUnit
> test. Pax Exam is able to run an OSGi framework and add the tests as a
> bundle and run the tests within the OSGi environment. Also I found out
> that it can be integrated into an ant build. So I think this would
> serve our purpose. I have no prior experience of using this but from
> what I found out, Pax Exam is better than the other alternatives.
>
> [1] http://team.ops4j.org/wiki/display/paxexam/Pax+Exam

Great.  I see it has the Apache v2 license so that is really good.

https://github.com/ops4j/org.ops4j.pax.exam2/blob/master/LICENSE

Still when implemented  unless it is determined Paxexam is suitable to
check in, we should probably make a build property for the location and
skip the tests if it is not installed.

Re: Mohamed Nufail proposal (was Re: GSoC 2012 - To potential student applicants on the list)

Posted by Mohamed Nufail <nu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kathey,

Thanks for noting. I have updated the proposal in the google doc also.

As for the OSGi tests, I found out that Pax Exam [1] can be used for this
purpose. Tests can be written using JUnit as any other JUnit test. Pax Exam
is able to run an OSGi framework and add the tests as a bundle and run the
tests within the OSGi environment. Also I found out that it can be
integrated into an ant build. So I think this would serve our purpose. I
have no prior experience of using this but from what I found out, Pax Exam
is better than the other alternatives.

[1] http://team.ops4j.org/wiki/display/paxexam/Pax+Exam

Regards,
Nufail.