Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Angus Salkeld <as...@redhat.com> on 2011/02/21 01:01:51 UTC

qpid.pc installing into /usr/lib/pkgconfig on x86_64

Hi

I ran "./configure --prefix=/usr" and qpid.pc got installed into
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/. All the other .pc files on my system are in
/usr/lib64/pkgconfig/.

Now my "PKG_CHECK_MODULES(QPID)" doesn't work.

Any ideas? Any other preferred way of finding the libs?

I am on Fedora14, using latest qpid code.

Regards
Angus Salkeld

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: qpid.pc installing into /usr/lib/pkgconfig on x86_64

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On 02/23/2011 10:05 AM, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-02-23 at 11:06 +1100, Angus Salkeld wrote:

>>> You can get it to do the right thing with:
>>>   ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64
>>>
>>> I'm not sure how to get automake to do it right automatically.
>>
>> OK, no worries I have worked around it.
>>
>> you could do something like this in the configure.ac:
>>
>>    if test "$libdir" = "\${exec_prefix}/lib"; then
>>      if test -e /usr/lib64; then
>>        libdir="${exec_prefix}/lib64"
>>      fi
>>    fi
>>

> I don't think this works as a test.
>
> Remember that in many 64 bit systems (certainly true for x86_64) you can
> run and compile both 32 and 64 bit binaries, so the presence of the 64
> bit libs doesn't show what you want to build one way or the other.
>
> Also it's very important to note that the lib/lib64 distinction is not
> at all general and pretty much distribution specific. For example this
> isn't how it's done on FreeBSD (lib/lib32).
>
> So I don't think that the upstream source should try to vary from the
> gnu defaults and distribution packaging should deal with it themselves
> (which is indeed what the Fedora packages do).
>
> This also isn't at all specific to qpid.

Right, and from a quick read-around the standard solution is
  ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64
If someone knows of autoconf project(s) that have a better solution we could
copy it but I'm not keen on trying to figure it out by trial and error.

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Wed, 2011-02-23 at 11:06 +1100, Angus Salkeld wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:17:42AM -0500, Alan Conway wrote:
> > On 02/20/2011 07:01 PM, Angus Salkeld wrote:
> > >Hi
> > >
> > >I ran "./configure --prefix=/usr" and qpid.pc got installed into
> > >/usr/lib/pkgconfig/. All the other .pc files on my system are in
> > >/usr/lib64/pkgconfig/.
> > >
> > >Now my "PKG_CHECK_MODULES(QPID)" doesn't work.
> > >
> > >Any ideas? Any other preferred way of finding the libs?
> > >
> > >I am on Fedora14, using latest qpid code.
> > >

> > You can get it to do the right thing with:
> >  ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64
> >
> > I'm not sure how to get automake to do it right automatically.
>
> OK, no worries I have worked around it.
>
> you could do something like this in the configure.ac:
>
>   if test "$libdir" = "\${exec_prefix}/lib"; then
>     if test -e /usr/lib64; then
>       libdir="${exec_prefix}/lib64"
>     fi
>   fi

I don't think this works as a test.

Remember that in many 64 bit systems (certainly true for x86_64) you can
run and compile both 32 and 64 bit binaries, so the presence of the 64
bit libs doesn't show what you want to build one way or the other.

Also it's very important to note that the lib/lib64 distinction is not
at all general and pretty much distribution specific. For example this
isn't how it's done on FreeBSD (lib/lib32).

So I don't think that the upstream source should try to vary from the
gnu defaults and distribution packaging should deal with it themselves
(which is indeed what the Fedora packages do).

This also isn't at all specific to qpid.

Andrew

Posted by Angus Salkeld <as...@redhat.com>.
On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:17:42AM -0500, Alan Conway wrote:
> On 02/20/2011 07:01 PM, Angus Salkeld wrote:
> >Hi
> >
> >I ran "./configure --prefix=/usr" and qpid.pc got installed into
> >/usr/lib/pkgconfig/. All the other .pc files on my system are in
> >/usr/lib64/pkgconfig/.
> >
> >Now my "PKG_CHECK_MODULES(QPID)" doesn't work.
> >
> >Any ideas? Any other preferred way of finding the libs?
> >
> >I am on Fedora14, using latest qpid code.
> >

> You can get it to do the right thing with:
>  ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64
>
> I'm not sure how to get automake to do it right automatically.

OK, no worries I have worked around it.

you could do something like this in the configure.ac:

  if test "$libdir" = "\${exec_prefix}/lib"; then
    if test -e /usr/lib64; then
      libdir="${exec_prefix}/lib64"
    fi
  fi

-Angus

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On 02/20/2011 07:01 PM, Angus Salkeld wrote:
> Hi
>
> I ran "./configure --prefix=/usr" and qpid.pc got installed into
> /usr/lib/pkgconfig/. All the other .pc files on my system are in
> /usr/lib64/pkgconfig/.
>
> Now my "PKG_CHECK_MODULES(QPID)" doesn't work.
>
> Any ideas? Any other preferred way of finding the libs?
>
> I am on Fedora14, using latest qpid code.

Can you manually copy the .pc file for now? I'll look into why its installed in
the wrong place.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org