Posted to dev@chemistry.apache.org by Philip Barr <Ph...@synapps-solutions.com> on 2012/02/13 11:39:33 UTC

TCP / IP Monitoring

When I've been working with DotCMIS I've found it useful to see exactly what XML is being sent and received to/from the server. To do this, I've add a line like (I'm using the AtomPub bindings):
link = link.Replace(":8080", ":9080");
...to AbstractAtomPubService.LoadLink()
Then I run the TCP/IP monitor in Eclipse (I only use that because I'm familiar with it) and can see what's going on.
Two questions:

1.       Is it possible to add this as a feature to DotCMIS? Maybe a Session.Proxy property?

2.       I assume people have wanted to do this before. Is there a standard thing people are already doing that I'm unaware of?

If there is a need for (1) then I'll raise it as a feature request in JIRA.

Kind Regards,
Phil.
IMPORTANT NOTICE

This e-mail contains information which is confidential and may be privileged and is for the exclusive use of the recipient. If you are not the named recipient please contact the sender immediately and delete the communication from your system. You are hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution or copying of this communication, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that this message and its attachments are virus free. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Company, its directors or officers unless otherwise specifically stated. The Company is not responsible for any reliance placed on the information contained herein and excludes all liability.

SynApps Solutions Limited is a company registered in England & Wales. Company Registration No.: 047702224. VAT No.: 823778892

Re: TCP / IP Monitoring

Posted by Florian Müller <mu...@gotux.de>.
 Hi Phil,

 Do you know Fiddler [1]? It might be the tool you are looking for.
 You can also try playing with the Internet Explorer proxy settings.
 They are used when a connection is established.
 Please also check this page: [2]

 If this all doesn't help, we can look into adding direct proxy support
 to DotCMIS.

 - Florian

 [1] http://fiddler2.com/fiddler2/
 [2] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/09361bca.aspx

RE: TCP / IP Monitoring

Posted by Jens Hübel <jh...@opentext.com>.
If your server is a Java servlet you may also take a look at the LoggingFilter as well. LoggingFilter is a servlet filter that logs all requests in files in your TEMP folder. It will significantly decrease the performance and break your streaming, but might be an option for simple cases. I plan to add some documentation around this tool on the web site soon. An example configuration can be found in the web.xml contained in the server bindings that just needs to be uncommented. Do NOT use this on a production system and do not try this with large content (everything is buffered in memory)! The number of generated files can become huge.
Keep in mind that the filter logs on the server and not on the client which may be inconvenient. Also a servlet filter does not see the exact wire protocol. You will see some differences compared to a tool like Fiddler. The code is in the server-support jar which must be added to the classpath if it is not yet there. Here is an example configuration:

	   	<filter-name>LoggingFilter</filter-name>
  		<filter-class>org.apache.chemistry.opencmis.server.support.filter.LoggingFilter</filter-class>
   		<init-param>
   		   <param-name>LogDir</param-name>
   		   <param-value></param-value>
  		 </init-param>
   		<init-param>
   		   <param-name>PrettyPrint</param-name>
   		   <param-value>true</param-value>
  		 </init-param>
   		<init-param>
   		   <param-name>LogHeader</param-name>
   		   <param-value>true</param-value>
  		 </init-param>
   		<init-param>
   		   <param-name>Indent</param-name>
   		   <param-value>4</param-value>
  		 </init-param>
	</filter>

	<filter-mapping>
   		<filter-name>LoggingFilter</filter-name>
   		<servlet-name>cmisatom</servlet-name>
	</filter-mapping>
	<filter-mapping>
   		<filter-name>LoggingFilter</filter-name>
   		<servlet-name>cmisws</servlet-name>
	</filter-mapping>
	<filter-mapping>
   		<filter-name>LoggingFilter</filter-name>
   		<servlet-name>cmisbrowser</servlet-name>
	</filter-mapping>

Given all these restrictions I assume that a proxy might usually be the preferred choice, but just to mention that this option exists...

jens