Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by cmathur <ch...@yahoo.com> on 2012/01/19 23:52:31 UTC

Field Collapsing / Result Grouping

Hi,
I want to know if these are possible using the
FieldCollapsing/ResultGrouping feature.
1) I want to group skus based on certain attribute. So i have an attribute
against a sku that i will use for grouping. Suppose i limit the result set
to 20 to display on the first page. Will i get a total count of groups in
the response? And will i also get a total count of all the results? Example:
Total Sku count=1000, total group count=85 even though i have asked for
first 20?

2) When applying facet, how does the search work? Is the facet applied to
the skus and then result set grouped? or is the facet applied after
grouping? Applying facet to the non-grouped result set seems the correct way
to go..

3) Can i group by more than one attribute? If i can, how will the result set
structure be? what will group value and doc list contain? can someone share
an example?

4) Are there any gotchas with sorting/ pagination by using Result Grouping?

5) Why is there a limit to the no of results in a group? Do i have to know
the max number my system can have and use that to get all results in a
group? group.limit seems to be odd in that respect. Either it should be
that, if you dont set group.limit, then all results under the group are
returned. Why is the default 1 instead of ALL?

Thanks!