Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com> on 2007/01/22 20:06:51 UTC

OFBiz Telephony Integration with Asterisk

Hey OFBizers,

I have just added to the wiki ( http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/VgQ ) what I
hope is a simple step by step tutorial on having OFBiz send commands to
an Asterisk server. The first service for this is naturally one that
gives you the ability to Click-to-Dial from OFBiz.  There is no UI
enhancement yet for security reasons, but that can easily be added.

Nerd Vittles has a VMware installation for Trixbox that should make for
most people to be able to setup an Asterix testing environment that is
quick and painless.

This should be a New Feature that has the potential to really grow the
community.  Imagine how simple it would be to create a CD with a
lightweight Linux OS, PBX system and ERP framework in a small company
on a half way decent box, push a button and in about 45 minutes to an
hour, be able to demo an entire SME presence soup to nuts with limited
assistance from a user.  Want to grow the company? Get 2 CDs.  One for
the PBX, one for OFBiz.  Want to grow more? Get 3 CDs.  One for the
PBX, one for OFBiz and one for the Database.  All from FOSS!

Ian McNulty was joking that Mark Shuttleworth might we lurking from
35,000 feet in the air.  Well if he isn't, maybe he should be ;-)

I digress, check out the tutorial, test out the methods and give me
some feedback, Thanks!

,Chris
http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/VgQ

Re: OFBiz Telephony Integration with Asterisk

Posted by Ian McNulty <ia...@mcnultymedia.co.uk>.
Hey Chris,

This looks like a terrific contribution. Your vision of a CD with a
lightweight Linux OS, PBX system and ERP framework in a small company
where you can push a button and in about 45 minutes to hour be able to
demo an entire SME presence, soup to nuts, with limited assistance from
a user, is nothing short of magic.

Just to set the record straight, I wasn't joking when I said that Mark
Shuttleworth might we lurking 35,000 feet in the air. This is as near to
solid fact as you can get. He likes it up there. Don't forget he was the
first African in space ;)

Question then is, would he be likely to drop in on Apache? The answer is
that we all suffer from nostalgia, so he most probably will. Don't
forget he's the guy who programmed Thawte in his parent's garage. The
original server he used was Sioux, an adaptation of Apache.

Question then would be: Would he want to keep an eye on an Apache
top-level business  project? Answer is that is that if he or one of his
advisers didn't, then they would be completely off the ball - which I've
got not doubt they aren't.

Question then would be, why would he want to actually call in?

If you want to really grow the community then wouldn't you think a
reasonably accessible airport terminal ought to be at least somewhere on
the agenda?

When I was a kid in Newcastle upon Tyne, the airport terminal was a
little flat roofed building with half a dozen white-speckled
Formica-topped tables and a little tea bar selling Kit Kats, ham
sandwiches, and very little else. What more could you possibly need?

I loved it to bits. Went as often as I could. Wish it was still there now.

But if it was, there's no way anybody would be jumping Jumbos to the Costas.

Great for global warming and the environment no doubt. But not exactly
open for business.

Ian

Chris Howe wrote:
> Hey OFBizers,
>
> I have just added to the wiki ( http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/VgQ ) what I
> hope is a simple step by step tutorial on having OFBiz send commands to
> an Asterisk server. The first service for this is naturally one that
> gives you the ability to Click-to-Dial from OFBiz.  There is no UI
> enhancement yet for security reasons, but that can easily be added.
>
> Nerd Vittles has a VMware installation for Trixbox that should make for
> most people to be able to setup an Asterix testing environment that is
> quick and painless.
>
> This should be a New Feature that has the potential to really grow the
> community.  Imagine how simple it would be to create a CD with a
> lightweight Linux OS, PBX system and ERP framework in a small company
> on a half way decent box, push a button and in about 45 minutes to an
> hour, be able to demo an entire SME presence soup to nuts with limited
> assistance from a user.  Want to grow the company? Get 2 CDs.  One for
> the PBX, one for OFBiz.  Want to grow more? Get 3 CDs.  One for the
> PBX, one for OFBiz and one for the Database.  All from FOSS!
>
> Ian McNulty was joking that Mark Shuttleworth might we lurking from
> 35,000 feet in the air.  Well if he isn't, maybe he should be ;-)
>
> I digress, check out the tutorial, test out the methods and give me
> some feedback, Thanks!
>
> ,Chris
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/VgQ

mcnultyMEDIA
60 Birkdale Gardens
Durham
DH1 2UL

t: +44 (0)191 384 4736
e: ian@mcnultymedia.co.uk
w: www.mcnultymedia.co.uk
This communication is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) named above and is confidential. Any form of distribution, copying, discussion or use of this communication, its contents, or any information contained herein without prior consent is strictly prohibited. If you receive this communication in error, please notify the sender by email or by telephone on +44 (0)191 384 4736

This email has been checked for viruses, however, we cannot accept any liability sustained as a result of software viruses and would recommend that you carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.