Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Vijay Srinivasan <vi...@verano.com> on 1999/03/12 02:23:22 UTC

mod_so/4048: Unable to load a module we developed using DSO feature...

>Number:         4048
>Category:       mod_so
>Synopsis:       Unable to load a module we developed using DSO feature...
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical

Is the only way to add large multifile modules into apache is through
statically linking it?

My main problem is that I am unable to get apache to recognize and load our
module.Our module is a pretty large module spanning many files and comprising
of a number of shared objects. My initial try was to generate each of the .so
separately, combine them into one single shared object and then use the
DSO feature (--activate-module/--enable-shared) to add that shared object as
a module. Apache configures fine with the above directive, makes fine, and
installs fine. It even goes through the LoadModule and AddHandler directives
in httpd.conf [though I dont know what to put for AddModule directive as there
is no single file to name there]. However, when I try to access a file extension
that our module handles, apache returns the error (for a handler called
srch_handler which is in our module):

httpd: [Thu Mar 11 14:35:42 1999] [warn] [client 209.19.61.133] handler
"srch_handler" not found for: /usr/local/apache/htdocs/advanced.srch

This indicates that our module was never loaded. I am unable to get it to
load despite my best efforts. I would appreciate some pointers/tips/etc to
get large modules to link and load with apache properly.

Thanks,
Vijay

>How-To-Repeat:

Take any large module. What is unclear is what directives to use with what
settings to load modules properly.