Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org> on 2005/08/02 16:42:56 UTC

Re: UDP Protocol Handler?

On 20 Jul 2005, at 10:40, Dan Sully wrote:

> Has anyone written a protocol handler for UDP?
>
> If so - could you share any examples?

I haven't, but IIRC there is/was a talk at YAPC::EU about using
mod_perl as a DNS server... I think it is by mock, who did the mod_perl
as a mail server in Belfast last year.

I guess that's not much help, except to know it's possible.

Matt.

Re: UDP Protocol Handler?

Posted by Dan Sully <da...@electricrain.com>.
* Will Whittaker shaped the electrons to say...

>Yeah, I'm working on this right now, using Gozer's patch.  I'm at OSCON right
>now, so if you can find me, we can talk about it.

Thanks - unfortunately I'm not at OSCon - I can wait though. :)

-D
--
<Djall> and I also learned that a meat vortex takes meat away from you.

Re: UDP Protocol Handler?

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>.
Will Whittaker wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 10:42:56AM -0400, Matt Sergeant wrote:
>>On 20 Jul 2005, at 10:40, Dan Sully wrote:
>>
>>>Has anyone written a protocol handler for UDP?

I've implemented UDP support in apache2 a while ago, so shouldn't be a big
problem to write something simple under mod_perl using it.

>>>If so - could you share any examples?
>>
>>I haven't, but IIRC there is/was a talk at YAPC::EU about using
>>mod_perl as a DNS server... I think it is by mock, who did the mod_perl
>>as a mail server in Belfast last year.
>>
> Yeah, I'm working on this right now, using Gozer's patch.  I'm at OSCON right
> now, so if you can find me, we can talk about it.

I am at OSCon too and I'd love to hear about what you've got to say about it,
grab me if you see me hovering about somewhere.

In short, the code exists, but I have not yet published it in the wild. As it
would obviously usefull to folks, I'll try and polish it up and get it released
in the near future. Might have to wait until after OSCon is over though.

Re: UDP Protocol Handler?

Posted by Will Whittaker <mo...@hairljkscpq.mailchannels.com>.
On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 10:42:56AM -0400, Matt Sergeant wrote:

> On 20 Jul 2005, at 10:40, Dan Sully wrote:
>
> >Has anyone written a protocol handler for UDP?
> >
> >If so - could you share any examples?
>
> I haven't, but IIRC there is/was a talk at YAPC::EU about using
> mod_perl as a DNS server... I think it is by mock, who did the mod_perl
> as a mail server in Belfast last year.
>
> I guess that's not much help, except to know it's possible.
>
> Matt.

Yeah, I'm working on this right now, using Gozer's patch.  I'm at OSCON right
now, so if you can find me, we can talk about it.

mock

Re: UDP Protocol Handler?

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
On 2 Aug 2005, at 13:27, Ken Simpson wrote:

> BTW Matt: Have you released the super-caching DNS query system that you
> were discussing a few months back? The one that works way better than
> Net::DNS for doing nasty things like lots of SPF checks?

Sort of. There's code as part of Qpsmtpd that will show you how to do
Net::DNS with a single socket. And SpamAssassin has integrated similar
ideas. But I don't have anything generic.

Matt.

Re: UDP Protocol Handler?

Posted by Ken Simpson <ks...@ghpbjymdczr.mailchannels.com>.

Matt Sergeant [02/08/05 10:42 -0400]:

> On 20 Jul 2005, at 10:40, Dan Sully wrote:
>
> >Has anyone written a protocol handler for UDP?
> >
> >If so - could you share any examples?
>
> I haven't, but IIRC there is/was a talk at YAPC::EU about using
> mod_perl as a DNS server... I think it is by mock, who did the mod_perl
> as a mail server in Belfast last year.
>
> I guess that's not much help, except to know it's possible.

Not to take too much of Will's glory, but yes, serving UDP in mod_perl
is something that we are working on.

BTW Matt: Have you released the super-caching DNS query system that you
were discussing a few months back? The one that works way better than
Net::DNS for doing nasty things like lots of SPF checks?

Regards,
Ken

--
MailChannels: Assured Messaging
--

Keep up with the latest insights in email security, phishing, and spam
by reading the MailChannels blog at http://mailchannels.blogspot.com

--
http://www.mailchannels.com
MailChannels Corporation