Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Bas Gooren <ba...@iswd.nl> on 2012/02/12 13:53:50 UTC

Architectural question

Hi All,

I have an architectural question about wicket, DDD and the service layer.

Let's say we have a simple JPA entity (Customer), and a few simple CRUDL
screens.
For database access, we have a DAO layer (CustomerDao) which delegates
to an EntityManager, and provides some convenience methods for searching.
We also like to have clear boundaries, so we have a thin service layer
which wraps persist() and delete() calls in a transaction before
forwarding them to the DAO layer (@Transactional, as provided by
guice-persist).

A wicket model fetches one or more customers (by id or by running a
search), and attaches to a form. In the form we use PropertyModels which
push their changes to the entity, and in onSubmit() we call
service.persist(entity).
This means that the actual changes to the model happen outside of the
transaction (in wicket code), and within the transaction (/service
layer) we merely call persist() and flush().

Then parts of the app need something a bit more advanced, so we decide
to apply parts of DDD and put logic where it belongs (on the domain
models). However, some logic coordinates multiple models, so we add a
domain- or application-service for that.
The good thing about DDD is that it's a lot more clear what happens
(intent). We now realize that having a persist() method on a
entity-based service now looks like a bit of a code smell, since it does
not capture intent at all. Also, since the changes to the model happen
in wicket, before the service layer is called, I feel that the service
layer is not doing anything to act as a boundary. We might as well mark
the persist() method on our daos @transactional and remove the service
layer.

The only clean way to fix this seems to be either:
(a) using DTO's so the UI/wicket is not actually modifying domain entities
     upside: the state of the domain is not modified by wicket itself
     downside: duplication of models (actual model + DTO);
     downside: validation is currently set-up in wicket by scanning
fields for validation annotations, so we would need to duplicate those
on the DTO?

(b) using a concept from CQRS: sending commands to the domain through a
bus. This clearly and cleanly defines the intent and captures the exact
change.
     upside: the state of the domain is not modified by wicket itself
     downside: likely overkill for what we are trying to achieve; lot of
extra complexity

(c) wrapping the entire request in a transaction
     upside: easy to implement
     downside: since anything in the request can fetch a dao, read some
entities and modify them, this means we can lose track of what happens
in a request;
     downside: feels like moving backwards

(d) simplify by removing thin services and, where necessary, putting
more logic in the dao's
     upside: simple api contract: want to save/update an entity? use the
dao directly
     downside: dao's contain logic which does not really belong there
     downside: if at some point we really do need a service, the api
contract becomes less clear: for X and Y you can use the dao, for Z you
have to use a service

(a) and (b) provide a way to capture a change and execute all of the
change inside a transaction.

So my question to the list is: what are your experiences with this? How
do you deal with this in simple to moderately complex webapps?

Thanks for reading!

Re: Architectural question

Posted by Bas Gooren <ba...@iswd.nl>.
Chris,

Thanks for your response.

It sounds like the "exposed domain model" is what we are using right
now. Our current DAOs are what are called Repositories in EDM.
I am investigating moving away from it because of the clear lack of
layers, which is what brought me to consider DTO's etc. I'm not a big
fan of building classes just for the sake of it, so I decided to ask
here how other deal with this.

In your apps, how do you deal with transactions? Since you expose your
domain models, and have OSIV, where do you begin and commit a transaction?

Also, how do you define your internal api contract?
E.g. in our case we have an Order entity and a Customer entity. Let's
say we have a business rule that says the total amount of outstanding
orders has to be within the Customers credit limit (e.g. a number on the
customer entity).
If we expose the repository directly to the view (wicket), this means
that it's possible to simple whip up a new Invoice entity, and call
repository.persist(invoice), thus bypassing any checks.
Since we have a lot (a lot!) of orders, we don't access them as a list
on the customer, but have a method on the repository
getOutstandingAmountForCustomer(Customer). Since we don't inject
repositories or services into our entities, this means the developer
always has to go through a service layer when saving an invoice.
How do you deal with such situations?

We cannot remove the persist() method from our repository, since we need
to save the invoice at some point. I guess it's the fact that "sometimes
you go through the service layer, sometimes you don't" part that bugs me.

Again, thanks for taking the time to bear with me :-)

RE: Architectural question

Posted by Chris Colman <ch...@stepaheadsoftware.com>.

Re: Architectural question

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: Architectural question

Posted by Bas Gooren <ba...@iswd.nl>.

Re: Architectural question

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: Architectural question

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
we use a pretty thin architecture described here:

https://www.42lines.net/2011/11/29/leveraging-conversations/
https://www.42lines.net/2011/12/01/simplifying-non-trivial-user-workflows-with-conversations/

this allows us to expose our domain model to the UI but control when
and where the updates actually happen.

together with https://github.com/42Lines/wicket-bean-validation you
can put your validation into your setters and get closer to the "true"
ddd way of doing things. also, setters can have sideeffects on the
subgraph of the entity and the UI will reflect them as well - all
without having to persist anything into the database in a "half-done"
state and without having to capture the complete state in a dto.

-igor

Re: Architectural question

Posted by Martin Makundi <ma...@koodaripalvelut.com>.
> Ok, and do you perform all such copying manually or do you use something
> automated for that? (Or simply a JPA merge?)

Yes, merge for simplicity, and if we have a custom caching mechanism
we simply replace the node object in a hashmap.

**
Martin

Re: Architectural question

Posted by Bas Gooren <ba...@iswd.nl>.