Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2015/05/29 17:20:26 UTC

Apache meetups in the coming week

Hi, folks.

In my day job, I have some tools that use the Meetups.com API to extract
upcoming events around the technology I work with (in this case,
OpenStack). I then manually filter, because there are always false
positives, and do weekly email/wiki/twitter updates based on what I
find. The community seems to appreciate it.

Today, I ran my tool against the search term 'apache', and then filtered
out everything but the ones that were, I thought, obviously related to
Apache technologies. I got 35 meetups in the next 7 days. The output of
my script is pasted below, for your perusal.

This entire process took about 10 minutes. The script, of course, takes
seconds, but checking each event can take a little time. And of course
'apache' produces a lot of false positives. The initial list was 81
items. Lots of hiking trails and native american dance classes featured.

Anyways, my question is, do you folks think that this would be a useful
service to provide to the community - to put this list somewhere each
week. Perhaps this list, perhaps somewhere more prominent like on
apache.org/events for example.

Note that this is the easy bit. Attempting to tweet these events is much
more time consuming, because it involves scheduling them at appropriate
times for each time zone, and so on. I do that as part of my day job,
but in this case, perhaps we can rely in folks around the world to
tweet/facebook/g+ individual events?

This is a treasure trove of project promotion that we're just leaving on
the table, and with a few lines of Python it's there for us to use.
Thoughts?

--Rich

=======================================

The following are the meetups I'm aware of in the coming week where
Apache enthusiasts are likely to be present. If you know
of others, please let me know, and/or add them to
http://apache.org/events

If there's a meetup in your area, please consider attending. If you
attend, please consider taking a few photos, and possibly even writing
up a brief summary of what was covered.

--Rich

* Fri May 29 in Emeryville, CA, US: Building Real-time Streaming Apps in
Minutes - http://www.meetup.com/Bay-Area-Stream-Processing/events/222785515/

* Fri May 29 in Atlanta, GA, US: Building Big Data Real-time Streaming
Apps in Minutes - http://www.meetup.com/BigData-Atlanta/events/222764435/

* Fri May 29 in Chicago, IL, US: Building Big Data Real-time Streaming
Apps in Minutes- Online Session -
http://www.meetup.com/Chicago-Big-Data-Analytics-Meetup/events/222710092/

* Fri May 29 in Amsterdam, NL: Objects, actions, exploration and
structure -
http://www.meetup.com/SEA-Search-Engines-Amsterdam/events/216345782/

* Fri May 29 in Deventer, NL: Borrel en Continuous Deployment met Thijs
Feryn (Vagrant, Ansible), Tony (AWS) -
http://www.meetup.com/DEVdev-powered-by-Topicus/events/222504135/

* Sat May 30 in Bangalore, IN: Structured Data Processing with Spark SQL
- http://www.meetup.com/Bangalore-Apache-Spark-Meetup/events/221747719/

* Sat May 30 in Bangalore, IN: Designing Big Data Systems - (SPARK) -
http://www.meetup.com/Real-Time-Data-Processing-and-Cloud-Computing/events/222663197/

* Sun May 31 in San Diego, CA, US: MACHINE LEARNING STUDY GROUP
(kick-off) - http://www.meetup.com/SanDiegoAI/events/222735461/

* Mon Jun  1 in Herzeliyya, IL: Using Apache Kafka as a Large Scale
Distributed Message Bus -
http://www.meetup.com/Coding-with-AppsFlyer/events/222372156/

* Mon Jun  1 in Vancouver, BC, CA: Study Group for Apache Spark MOOC (#1
of 4) - http://www.meetup.com/Vancouver-Spark/events/221672229/

* Mon Jun  1 in Addison, TX, US: A Pragmatic Approach to Apache Spark
and Functional Programming -
http://www.meetup.com/DFW-Data-Science/events/222499306/

* Mon Jun  1 in Minneapolis, MN, US: Cassandra MSP Meetup -
http://www.meetup.com/Minneapolis-St-Paul-Cassandra-Meetup/events/221621875/

* Tue Jun  2 in Barcelona, ES: Barcelona Apache Spark Workshop 2015
(only for student of FIB MASTER COURSE) -
http://www.meetup.com/Spark-Barcelona/events/222708962/

* Tue Jun  2 in Burlington, MA, US: Meet Solr 5 -
http://www.meetup.com/New-England-Search-Technologies-NEST-Group/events/222257953/

* Tue Jun  2 in Phoenix, AZ, US: Demo the basics of Mesosphere -
http://www.meetup.com/Mesosphere-Phoenix/events/222722836/

* Tue Jun  2 in Melbourne, AU: Spark SQL and beyond from the Spark SQL
lead developer from the U.S. -
http://www.meetup.com/Melbourne-Apache-Spark-Meetup/events/222448994/

* Tue Jun  2 in Oslo, NO: Hadoop at If insurance -
http://www.meetup.com/oslohug/events/222708776/

* Tue Jun  2 in San Francisco, CA, US: Using Spark at Vungle -
http://www.meetup.com/spark-users/events/222313872/

* Tue Jun  2 in Brussels, BE: Coached Mooc - Introduction to Big Data
with Apache Spark -
http://www.meetup.com/Open-Data-Innovation-Training-Hub/events/222837531/

* Wed Jun  3 in Berlin, DE: Introduction to Apache Flink Workshop -
http://www.meetup.com/Apache-Flink-Meetup/events/220557545/

* Wed Jun  3 in Minneapolis, MN, US: Big Data & Analytics Developer Day
- http://www.meetup.com/Big-Data-Developers-in-Minneapolis/events/221129727/

* Wed Jun  3 in Berlin, DE: GameDuell TechTalk with Boaz Leskes About
Resiliency in Elasticsearch -
http://www.meetup.com/GameDuell-TechTalk/events/222367950/

* Wed Jun  3 in Palo Alto, CA, US: Apache Drill: Learn the basics with
Neeraja Rentachintala (MapR) -
http://www.meetup.com/SF-Bay-Areas-Big-Data-Think-Tank/events/222536108/

* Wed Jun  3 in Palo Alto, CA, US: Taking 'Oops' Out Of Hadoop -
http://www.meetup.com/BigData-App-and-Ops/events/222511042/

* Wed Jun  3 in Bellevue, WA, US: Data Engineering With XFrames -
http://www.meetup.com/Seattle-Spark-Meetup/events/219336592/

* Wed Jun  3 in Phoenix, AZ, US: Splunk and Hadoop stack (Hunk, Hadoop
Connect, Bucket Archiving, Monitoring) -
http://www.meetup.com/Phoenix-Hadoop-User-Group/events/221442792/

* Wed Jun  3 in Melbourne, AU: Spark -
http://www.meetup.com/Melbourne-Java-JVM-Users-Group/events/222125527/

* Wed Jun  3 in Berlin, DE: #10: Multi-Structured Content in Data
Science - http://www.meetup.com/berlin-machine-learning/events/219931137/

* Wed Jun  3 in Chicago, IL, US: Using C* in a Distributed, Large-scale
Object Store & C*+ ElasticSearch+Spark -
http://www.meetup.com/Cassandra-Chicago/events/222051689/

* Thu Jun  4 in Edmond, OK, US: Click Stream Monetization and Intro to
Apache Spark -
http://www.meetup.com/Big-Data-in-Oklahoma-City/events/222712199/

* Thu Jun  4 in Chicago, IL, US: EdX Spark MOOC Discussion Group -
http://www.meetup.com/Chicago-Spark-Users/events/222818738/

* Thu Jun  4 in Washington, DC, US: Spark After Dark -
http://www.meetup.com/Washington-DC-Area-Spark-Interactive/events/222666121/

* Thu Jun  4 in Oslo, NO: Big Data - No Fluff - lets get started with
Hadoop - http://www.meetup.com/Oslo-Hadoop-Big-Data-Meetup/events/222474304/

* Thu Jun  4 in Princeton, NJ, US: Graph Analytics - Titan and Cassandra
- http://www.meetup.com/nj-datascience/events/222637527/

* Thu Jun  4 in São Paulo, BR: June Cassandra -
http://www.meetup.com/Sao-Paulo-Cassandra-Users/events/222720076/

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

RE: Apache meetups in the coming week

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
Melissa is tasked with consolidating and maintaining calendars. I'll put it on our weekly agenda and figure out out.

In the meantime told like these will make it a viable task.

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________
Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 29 May 2015, Rich Bowen wrote:
> Anyways, my question is, do you folks think that this would be a useful
> service to provide to the community - to put this list somewhere each
> week. Perhaps this list, perhaps somewhere more prominent like on
> apache.org/events for example.

events.apache.org is another place it could go. That pulls in stuff from
the shared calendar, and could also pull in stuff from Lanyrd as well if
we wanted. (I find there's some but not complete overlap between Meetup
and Lanyrd)

Hmm, though it looks like the google calendar json fetch is giving an
error at the moment, I'll need to look at that...

Nick

RE: Apache meetups in the coming week

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
Awesome, thanks Rich. I'll have a play over the weekend.

I shudder to think what our respective Python skills will produce. Hopefully someone here clears up after us ;-)

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________
Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On May 29, 2015 12:43 PM, "Mike Drob" <md...@mdrob.com> wrote:

> It's possible to schedule future tweets to automatically post using
> TweetDeck, so that might ease some of the time zone difficulties.

It's not so much that it is *difficult*, just very time consuming to paste
each "tomorrow evening in Bangalore" tweet into tweetdeck and schedule it
for the right time. I do this as part of my job. I don't really have the
bandwidth to do this for asf events but I'm hoping someone will step up who
is

Note also that hootsuite defines an import file syntax we could use if
someone wanted to do that.

> Can we check in a hard-coded list of groups to ignore that has been
> manually generated for the ones that we _know_ are not related? I'll take
> the risk of false negatives on a helicopter group talking about what
> webserver they want to use.

Yes, that would be a good improvement.

答复: Apache meetups in the coming week

Posted by 李铭 <74...@qq.com>.
Vati ER nv lclad

Patches most definitely welcome (both your suggestions are excellent)

It's possible to schedule future tweets to automatically post using TweetDeck, so that might ease some of the time zone difficulties.

Can we check in a hard-coded list of groups to ignore that has been manually generated for the ones that we _know_ are not related? I'll take the risk of false negatives on a helicopter group talking about what webserver they want to use.

Mike

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@mdrob.com>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.